ND Filters

Printable View

• 05-30-2010, 01:26 PM
    MikeyNy
    ND Filters
    Hey guys, I'm in need of a neutral density filter but I'm not exactly sure which filters will fit the 14-42 filter for my E-620, BH photo has a ton of them but I'm worried about buying one and it not fitting, do any of you guys know which ones will fit that lens or where I can find a list that will specifically fit?
  • 05-30-2010, 01:59 PM
    calexp
    Re: ND Filters
    On the 14-42 will fit every filter with 58mm thread, but don't go for cheap ones they can ruin your images.
  • 05-30-2010, 03:29 PM
    Frog
    or get a Cokin system and use one filter for any lens. Get the biggest one you think you'll ever need and it will fit everything.
  • 05-30-2010, 03:48 PM
    Greg McCary
    Frog is right. After you buy a Cokin filter it will fit everything you use for the cost of a cheap adapter ring. Series P I beleive.
  • 05-30-2010, 04:06 PM
    OldClicker
    You can do the same think by buying a threaded filter that fits your largest lens and then ring adapters. The really nice way to go is with Singh-Ray's Variable ND and a set of adapter rings. - TF
  • 05-30-2010, 05:39 PM
    Greg McCary
    Threaded ones are quick. I had a Heliopan I just loved but the Cokin is a much better choice since you can slide the filter up and down to fit the scene. So if you are putting the horizon in the upper or lower third of the shot. Lightroom had some grad filters that work well too almost eliminating the need for a filter.
  • 05-30-2010, 08:34 PM
    Liz
    I just purchased the Hoya Neutral Density 4x = ND.6 (exposure adjustment = 2 stops, reduces ISO 1/4)

I've always used Hoya filters, but this is my first ND filter. I thought 2 stops would work, but haven't tried it yet (just got it yesterday).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

Liz
  • 05-30-2010, 09:45 PM
    MikeyNy
    Ah, thank you guys so much, I'm shoot alot of moving water so I figure it'd make sense to get one as to not blow out the image and get that nice water effect.
  • 05-31-2010, 03:07 AM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz
    I just purchased the Hoya Neutral Density 4x = ND.6 (exposure adjustment = 2 stops, reduces ISO 1/4)

I've always used Hoya filters, but this is my first ND filter. I thought 2 stops would work, but haven't tried it yet (just got it yesterday).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

Liz

My Cokin kit came with three and the two stop does most of the work, by the way a kit of three is only pennies more than just the one.