More 50-200mm

Printable View

• 01-11-2011, 04:47 PM
    Greg McCary
    More 50-200mm
    I don't know why I can't just go out a snap shots but I just ain't programmed to do that. I would never make a good test shooter. But I have been trying out the 50-200mm lens some more. Here a three from a snow we had Monday. It is going to take some getting use to for sure since I rarely shoot a tele this big. It seems my brain works best in the 35-40mm range and wants to stay there.
    But the lens is certainly fast and sharp across the focal range and aperture settings. I am getting more use to the weight and the tripod mount is making for a nice handle. It has given me an idea to make a small handle to attach to it for holding, Kind of like an M16, electric drill or something.LOL
    When I enlarge the shots in PS I am just blown away at the sharpness. I think Zuiko lenses are the best in the business. That by itself is enough reason to shoot Olympus. That and in body IS. I can only imagine what a SHG lens could do.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...on_earth_2.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...son_garage.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...titled-1-1.jpg
  • 01-13-2011, 08:09 AM
    Asmarlak
    Re: More 50-200mm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I think Zuiko lenses are the best in the business. That by itself is enough reason to shoot Olympus. That and in body IS. I can only imagine what a SHG lens could do.

Nice shots Greg. I agree with the above. That what we Olympus users have been trying to tell the brand-hooked folks all along.
  • 01-13-2011, 10:54 AM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmarlak
    Nice shots Greg. I agree with the above. That what we Olympus users have been trying to tell the brand-hooked folks all along.

I also agree. It took the fact that I had to switch brands due to the weight of my Canon equipment, yet wanted that "L" image quality. I invested in the Olympus E-PL1 - and added some Zuiko lenses. My favorite is the 50mm/f2. I then invested in the E-620 because the 50mm focuses better with that camera. The 50mm/f2 has become my favorite lens of all time, not to mention how great both the 620 and 50 are.

ETA: Some of my images are comparable to what I got with my beloved "L" lenses! I love Olympus!

Greg, those images are great. I love the 2nd one.

Liz
  • 01-13-2011, 01:36 PM
    Greg McCary
    Liz I got out of the m4/3rd but would like to get back into them. I am currently shopping for a small street camera. I may go MF but haven't made up my mind yet. The 50mm isn't out of the question I just think 50mm maybe to much focal lenght for street shooting with the crop factor and all. I really like the 17mm but it didn't seem as sharp as some of the higher end lenses.
    I really think the 70-300mm is the best bang for the buck. A little slow focusing but it is one sharp lens.
  • 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Liz I got out of the m4/3rd but would like to get back into them. I am currently shopping for a small street camera. I may go MF but haven't made up my mind yet. The 50mm isn't out of the question I just think 50mm maybe to much focal lenght for street shooting with the crop factor and all. I really like the 17mm but it didn't seem as sharp as some of the higher end lenses.
    I really think the 70-300mm is the best bang for the buck. A little slow focusing but it is one sharp lens.

Greg,

Are you thinking of an M4/3 for your small street camera? Or are you looking for a p&s?

Also, regarding the 50mm - you mentioned it may be too much focal length for street shooting, but you're considering the 70-300.......am I missing something here? :D Maybe you're talking about 2 different lenses that you are considering for 2 different uses?? Or you're talking about 2 different cameras. Whatever! Some thoughts:

I have the Panasonic 20mm/f1.7 and it is a really nice lens - price has gone from $399 to $315 lately. You could probably get a used one if you are looking for a shorter length prime.

If you are considering a p&s, I just love the LX5 - it does not have a long zoom, but a nice fast wide lens 24-90 - f2.0. Cost has dropped from $499 to $399.

BTW, have you looked at the E-PL2? It has some nice changes. Shutter 1/4000 (vs 1/2000), smaller and faster 14-42 kit lens, LCD res 460,000 (vs 230,000) plus 3" vs (I think) 2.7 screen. What I also like is that it is somewhere in between the E-P2 and E-PL1, with some similarities to the E-P2 which I almost purchased before choosing the E-PL1. It is supposed to be out this month - for $599 with kit lens.

I may consider upgrading as there wouldn't be that much difference in what I would have to pay. I do love the E-PL1 - and may consider upgrading since it would not be a big difference in cost.

Just some thoughts.

Liz
  • 01-13-2011, 02:08 PM
    Greg McCary
    No Liz I am not considering the 70-300mm. Just a comparision to the 50-200mm. If someone wasn't worried to much about focus speed the 70-300mm would be the better option. I have been looking at the new EPL-2 and the Sony Nex. The Nex has DXO marks almost as high as the M9 which is a full frame camera. I seem to do better in the 28-40mm range and with the crop factor that would but me using a 17mm.
    I am not sure how much stock to put into DXO marks but am am intrigued by it.
  • 01-13-2011, 02:13 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

No Liz I am not considering the 70-300mm. Just a comparision to the 50-200mm. If someone wasn't worried to much about focus speed the 70-300mm would be the better option. I have been looking at the new EPL-2 and the Sony Nex. The Nex has DXO marks almost as high as the M9 which is a full frame camera. I seem to do better in the 28-40mm range and with the crop factor that would but me using a 17mm.

We posted at the same time - I had edited the above post - here is the edit....

Quote:

BTW, have you looked at the E-PL2? It has some nice changes. Shutter 1/4000 (vs 1/2000), smaller and faster 14-42 kit lens, LCD res 460,000 (vs 230,000) plus 3" vs (I think) 2.7 screen. What I also like is that it is somewhere in between the E-P2 and E-PL1, with some similarities to the E-P2 which I almost purchased before choosing the E-PL1. It is supposed to be out this month - for $599 with kit lens.

I may consider upgrading as there wouldn't be that much difference in what I would have to pay. Maybe!
    The Nex sounds interesting too! Not for me - I need to stick with what I have - maybe upgrade to the E-PL2 since it won't cost that much.

Good luck, Greg. Whatever you choose, they are all fine cameras.

Liz
  • 01-13-2011, 03:22 PM
    Greg McCary
    One problem I have Liz is it doesn't seem the EPL-2 will be bundled with a prime.
  • 01-14-2011, 06:12 AM
    Iguanamom
    those are excellent shots, Gary. I rarely use a telephoto either and only handled the 50-200 once. It's a beast that I'm not sure would get much use, but it's a terrific lens.
  • 01-18-2011, 06:36 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

I put a lot of stock in the DxO ratings. They started out making software for journalists to test cameras. It was a stroke of genius for them to start applying what they knew and publishing the results. For purely data-based camera comparison, I think they're probably the best source on the Internet.