Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Thread: E420 Af

E420 Af

Confirmed my Oly E420 suffers from lousy AF under low light, not talking about shooting in the dark but a moody indoor scene. According to AF confirmation all the pics I took yesterday were in focus, to my surprise after watching the files on my monitor they were far from being focused. In the ones I used flash I had no problem at all, the thing is that using flash, takes out the moody composition I was looking for.

I know I can use manual focus but I find it difficult, specially with portraits where you want to grab the moment or the perfect timing for a particular expression of the subject. Plus I use glasses which makes it more challenging.

I know the cam uses the flash as an AF light with several bursts, but I can not find the way to use this feature and avoid the flash firing in the actual pic.

Any ideas chaps?

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Re: E420 Af

I see in your sig that you are using the 14-42mm. I would suggest getting the 14-54mm. It focuses much better in low light. I think faster glass is your answer. There is a world of difference between the kit lens and the 14-54mm. If you ever upgrade bodies make sure you get IS as well. If you are serious about photography, and I think you are. Better glass is what you should shoot for. When you upgrade bodies you will always have the glass. My 14-54mm has been in three different bodies. The E500, E510 and now the E3.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I see in your sig that you are using the 14-42mm. I would suggest getting the 14-54mm. It focuses much better in low light. I think faster glass is your answer. There is a world of difference between the kit lens and the 14-54mm. If you ever upgrade bodies make sure you get IS as well. If you are serious about photography, and I think you are. Better glass is what you should shoot for. When you upgrade bodies you will always have the glass. My 14-54mm has been in three different bodies. The E500, E510 and now the E3.
    Thanks Greg, yes I have seen that lens and no doubt it´s far better than the kit lens, and have been very tempted but I´ll have to wait for some extra income to afford it.:mad2:
    Now... I´m pretty happy with the overall quality of the kit lens, this is my first "disappointment" and I think It would do Ok if manage to AF using the flash aid.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Yes the kits are great lenses. I took some great pictures with mine before upgrading. As far as IQ the 14-54mm is slightly sharper, but just slightly. I would use a kit lens anytime without thinking twice.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Are you sure it's missing focus and not just blurred? Can you post an example?
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Thread Information