Micro Four Thirds Forum?

Printable View

• 03-30-2010, 03:25 PM
    Photo-John
    Micro Four Thirds Forum?
    I've been thinking that it might be time to create a separate Micro Four Thirds / mirrorless camera forum. Samsung has a camera now and Sony is working on one. Pretty soon it won't just be Panasonic and Olympus. What do you guys think?
  • 03-30-2010, 04:42 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Micro Four Thirds Forum?
    I think that is a good idea. I think m4/3rd is here to stay.
  • 03-30-2010, 05:40 PM
    Nyreth
    I'll happily admit to being biased, but I agree. It would be a relevant and nice addition.
  • 03-30-2010, 06:33 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I've been thinking that it might be time to create a separate Micro Four Thirds / mirrorless camera forum. Samsung has a camera now and Sony is working on one. Pretty soon it won't just be Panasonic and Olympus. What do you guys think?

I think it's a great idea! You have my vote.

Liz
  • 03-31-2010, 05:34 AM
    Iguanamom
    As far as I have read though, the Sony isn't likely to be a m43 camera but something else entirely and the Samsung isn't one either. Do you mean maybe a prismless interchangable lens camera forum? Micro Four thirds is a specific sensor type and is catchy, but misleading if inclusive of other formats that follow the no-mirror, lens swap formula using a different sensor.
  • 03-31-2010, 10:32 AM
    OldClicker
    Those that aren't entirely thrilled with the concept tend to call them EVIL - Electronic View Finder Interchangable Lens - cameras, but then you have to willing to call the LCD on the back a viewfinder since that's all many of them have. - TF
  • 03-31-2010, 11:29 AM
    Greg McCary
    Maybe just call it micro camera forum? I do think there is enough traffic to warrant having a new forum. The m4/3rd as gaining popularity. I really didn't think I would enjoy mine as much as I do. Maybe just call it m4/3rd and micro camera forum.
  • 03-31-2010, 01:32 PM
    Photo-John
    Forum Name
    What to name the forum really is the question. And it's a tricky question. We could just call it Micro Four Thirds, but I want it to be open to all compact, interchangeable lens cameras - not just Panasonic and Olympus. I have used the term "EVIL" in an article. But I'm not supporting it. I just don't like it. Micro Camera Forum is moving in the right direction. What about Micro System Cameras?
  • 03-31-2010, 02:12 PM
    OldClicker
    Re: Forum Name
    Quote:

What to name the forum really is the question. And it's a tricky question. We could just call it Micro Four Thirds, but I want it to be open to all compact, interchangeable lens cameras - not just Panasonic and Olympus. I have used the term "EVIL" in an article. But I'm not supporting it. I just don't like it. Micro Camera Forum is moving in the right direction. What about Micro System Cameras?

I'm not fond of it either, but it is certainly becoming the common name. - TF
  • 03-31-2010, 03:14 PM
    Sushigaijin
    In fact, most of the people speculating about this kind of camera were calling them "EVIL" before m4/3 was even announced.
  • 03-31-2010, 03:24 PM
    poker
    I don't care what you call it. I can't wait to own one of these babies. I'm just waiting to see what Sony does with it then hopefully Canon will follow suit.

Compact Interchangeable-Lens Camera (CILC) forum :)
  • 04-01-2010, 10:01 AM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    In fact, most of the people speculating about this kind of camera were calling them "EVIL" before m4/3 was even announced.

That's true. The original source was a speculative Nikon article, I think. That article is 3 or 4 years old now, if I remember right. And still nothing from Nikon :)
  • 04-05-2010, 05:13 PM
    Liz
    Re: Forum Name
    Quote:

Micro System works.............sounds good to me...:thumbsup:

Liz
  • 04-06-2010, 08:39 AM
    Photo-John
    Which Do You Like Better?
    Which name do you like better?

Compact System Cameras

or

Micro System Cameras

Tell me which you prefer and why, please. And if you have what you think is a better name for the new forum, please share it. I'm moving slow on this because I want to make sure we get it right.
  • 04-06-2010, 09:21 AM
    Greg McCary
    I prefer micro I think the word compact would get confused for a P&S type camera. It could really depend to on what other companies decide to name their systems.
  • 04-06-2010, 09:28 AM
    poker
    'Micro' makes me think it would be smaller than a P&S. Also, I think 'micro' doesn't do justice to the fact the sensors in these bodies are larger and superior to the common p&s.
  • 04-06-2010, 09:51 AM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I prefer micro I think the word compact would get confused for a P&S type camera. It could really depend to on what other companies decide to name their systems.

I can see both points of view, Greg and Eric. I am concerned that people could get confused over either "micro" or "compact." The word "micro," already has some equity because of the term, "Micro Four Thirds." But Sony called their upcoming camera the, "Compact Alpha." Honestly, as the manager of the site, my main concern is people finding it in Google searches. I already did some research and "system camera" gets searched a lot but it looks like a lot of those searches could be about surveillance system cameras.

*sigh* :rolleyes:
  • 04-06-2010, 10:09 AM
    Kokopeli
    How about calling it the "One More Camera to Soak Up Even More of Our Hard Earned Money" forums?

Because, yeah, I will end up buying one of these.. The Oly I was playing with at the trade show felt very good in my hands!
  • 04-06-2010, 10:48 AM
    Greg McCary
    Well it could be called, "Micro four third and Compact camera systems" and then a list to include.
  • 04-06-2010, 11:06 AM
    OldClicker
    Have you Googled 'evil camera'? I think you may have to give in. - TF
  • 04-06-2010, 11:21 AM
    poker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OldClicker

I just took your advice and Googled EVIL. I didn't know it was an acronym! I can't wait for Canon to enter this market.

I vote for EVIL. You don't have to use the acronym. Just label the forum as:

Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens Forum
  • 04-06-2010, 11:55 AM
    SmartWombat
    And a suitably EVIL logo for users ?
  • 04-06-2010, 12:21 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

I can see both points of view, Greg and Eric. I am concerned that people could get confused over either "micro" or "compact." The word "micro," already has some equity because of the term, "Micro Four Thirds." But Sony called their upcoming camera the, "Compact Alpha." Honestly, as the manager of the site, my main concern is people finding it in Google searches. I already did some research and "system camera" gets searched a lot but it looks like a lot of those searches could be about surveillance system cameras.

*sigh* :rolleyes:

What about:

Compact Interchangeable Lens Forum..... or

Micro Interchangeable Lens Forum

Liz
  • 04-06-2010, 12:30 PM
    SmartWombat
    EVIL John, EVIL.
  • 04-06-2010, 12:40 PM
    Photo-John
    Google
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OldClicker

I just checked the number of searches for "evil camera," micro four thirds camera," "compact system camera," and "micro system camera." "Evil camera" and "Micro Four Thirds Camera" were neck to neck and at the top of the list. So maybe I will have to cave and go with EVIL Cameras.