Micro 4/3 - first camera

Printable View

• 09-13-2008, 11:26 AM
    Sushigaijin
    Micro 4/3 - first camera
    Panasonic announced the G1 yesterday, and although it's a solid example of m4/3 competing with traditional DSLR cameras, it isn't the camera that I hope comes out of this lineup; in-body IS, weathersealing, remote flash trigger and small size...should be interesting to see what olympus and panasonic release at photokina. I'd like a pro-grade body with diminutive, super high quality lenses...

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/PanasonicG1/
  • 09-13-2008, 03:18 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Micro 4/3 - first camera
    I am real excited about this Erik. I think this will appeal to the RF shooters. I think with the right adaptor I can fit my Voigtlander and Leica lenses on this. I hope to get this one as soon as I can. Thanks for posting.
  • 09-13-2008, 11:43 PM
    Sushigaijin
    I'm pretty excited about this too - an EVIL (electronic viewfinder interchangeable lenses) camera is just what I have been waiting for, but I definitely need one that surpasses the quality and size of my E510...being smaller, with tilt and spin (or whatever you call it) LCD and pro grade lenses like my zuiko 50 f/2 and 14-54.

I really had no problems with the electronic viewfinder situation on my p&s sony H5, it was image quality that pushed me to a DSLR...I have to admit that panning is easier with an optical viewfinder but a lot of low light shots were much easier with an electronic viewfinder...zero sum game, in my opinion. The viewfinder with live histogram was great, and I truly miss that option in my DSLR.

The biggest issue I see is that 4/3 lenses are not totally backwards compatible. the autofocus of the G1 is contrast based and only works with contrast AF lenses like the 14-45 and 25 pancake...Zuiko doesn't have any midgrade lenses that can contrast AF, as far as I know. Being relegated to the standard grade lenses even if they were smaller and lighter would be a huge bummer.

The camera that would fit my needs best would be mid-grade, weathersealed, with a macro in the 50mm range and the 150mm range, both weathersealed. I wouldn't mind a really nice standard zoom and a long telephoto zoom...the 12-60 would be good, and a mid grade zoom that went to about 400 or 500mm. A Teeny weeny (weathersealed!!) ring flash would make my short list VERY fast.

Anyway, enough speculation...photokina is in a few days so we will soon have a LOT more information about where the m4/3 format is going....
  • 09-14-2008, 05:38 AM
    Liz
    The G1 looks quite interesting and may outsell the Olympus.

Since weight is a concern for me, I'm wondering what it is in the camera that makes it heavier than my XTi (just by a couple of ounces). It doesn't include IS which always adds to the weight.

Liz
  • 09-14-2008, 11:53 AM
    Atomic2
    lol EVIL camera
  • 09-14-2008, 09:08 PM
    rigel
    'very excited about this too! :thumbsup:

Was just hoping Oly would release their version soon.

I'm thinking a nice in-body IS'd M4/3 would complement my E510 nicely :D
  • 09-14-2008, 09:16 PM
    Atomic2
    Does it not bug anyone that the larger lenses for the regular 4/3 bodies on a micro 4/3 just defeat the purpose? I would much rather just get an E420 as a backup or extra compact camera.
  • 09-15-2008, 12:02 AM
    rigel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomic2
    Does it not bug anyone that the larger lenses for the regular 4/3 bodies on a micro 4/3 just defeat the purpose? I would much rather just get an E420 as a backup or extra compact camera.

If they added IS to the E4xx series, that would be great!
  • 09-15-2008, 12:05 AM
    rigel
    Just noticed, the G1 doesn't have a movie mode [although it probably doesn't matter to a lot of you].

Strange that they couldn't incorporate it, considering you already get full-time Live View on the LCD :confused:

Couple the movie mode with the Tracking AF and that's one up on the Nikon D90.
  • 09-15-2008, 01:05 AM
    Atomic2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rigel
    Just noticed, the G1 doesn't have a movie mode [although it probably doesn't matter to a lot of you].

Strange that they couldn't incorporate it, considering you already get full-time Live View on the LCD :confused:

there is a button that says "film mode" on the camera....

edit: NVM, this is some sort of preset button
  • 09-15-2008, 06:33 AM
    Sushigaijin
    Quote:

Chose not to, more likely. This looks like a conservative entry-level camera to me.
  • 09-15-2008, 11:27 AM
    Photo-John
    My Article
    I'm a bit off the back on this one. But I just posted an article. I also just got some more photos from Panasonic, which I'll be adding. I think this camera is exciting and I'm both pleased and apprehensive about the EVF. I think it was the right thing to do with this camera. But I sure hope it doesn't suck. I have yet to use and EVF that I felt good about.

Panasonic Lumix G1 Article >>

I'm more interested in what Olympus will come out with. And I hope they make an announcement soon. I've said this about the Panasonic Four Thirds cameras before - I think the MEGA O.I.S. lenses defeat the prupose of the Four Thirds System and I expect it will be the same with the Micro Four Thirds lenses. Compare the size and weight of an Olympus DSLR and lens to a Panasonic and you'll see what I mean. The Panasonic DSLRs with Leica lenses are tanks! So I want to see if the Olympus Micro Four Thirds camera incorporates sensor-level image stabilization so they lenses can really be tiny.

Anyway, this is big news. This is really the first camera since the superzoom that breaks the mold and heads off in a new direction. It has a ton of potential and I look forward to trying it. I am dreaming of a super compact camera with DSLR performance that's easy to carry on the bike. Not having to carry a 15 or 20 pound backpack to get good bike or ski photos would be a dream come true for me.
  • 09-15-2008, 11:40 AM
    Liz
    Quote:

I am dreaming of a super compact camera with DSLR performance that's easy to carry on the bike. Not having to carry a 15 or 20 pound backpack to get good bike or ski photos would be a dream come true for me.
    Yes, that's my dream camera!

Liz
  • 09-15-2008, 01:03 PM
    Atomic2
    Re: My Article
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    t. I am dreaming of a super compact camera with DSLR performance that's easy to carry on the bike. Not having to carry a 15 or 20 pound backpack to get good bike or ski photos would be a dream come true for me.

well.... whats wrong with the E-4XX series? the camera bodies are similarly sized, and the lenses are not all that much bigger.
    http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/P...res/lenses.jpg

and then you still have all the benefits of having the original system, like not needing an adapter to mount the good lenses if you ever need them. The only thing you might miss out on is the IS, but then again, the E-5XX series are not that much bigger.
  • 09-15-2008, 01:46 PM
    Photo-John
    Good point. I am pretty pleased with the E-520 size and weight. I think this is one of those things where I'm going to have to just wait and see how they both feel in my hands. The G1 is 30% smaller than the E-420. And 30% is a fair amount - especially considering the E-420 is smaller than the E-520 and has no image stabilization. It's possible that the Olympus camera will be a bit bigger if they include sensor-level image stabilization, and I hope they do. The Micro Four Thirds lenses are supposed to be 6mm smaller on the outer diameter. That doesn't sound like much, but it will add up with larger lenses and make a noticeable difference in the overall size and weight of your camera gear. And if size and weight are a serious issue, every ounce (28.35 g) counts. Backpackers, cyclists, climbers, and light travelers should all be very interested in the new cameras.
  • 09-15-2008, 01:56 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

And if size and weight are a serious issue, every ounce (28.35 g) counts. Backpackers, cyclists, climbers, and light travelers should all be very interested in the new cameras.
    I guess I fit in as a "light traveler" although I do ride a bicycle. At any rate, I'm waiting for an E420 size/weight with IS and "L" quality glass. :D :D :D As I said, I'm dreaming too!

Liz
  • 09-15-2008, 02:03 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz
    I'm waiting for an E420 size/weight with IS and "L" quality glass. :D :D :D As I said, I'm dreaming too!

I don't think that's actually out of the question, Liz. I'm really impressed with the Olympus lenses. Of course, the kit lenses aren't the greatest. But I think, on average, the Olympus glass is well above average.
  • 09-15-2008, 10:52 PM
    patia
    I'm VERY interested in the G1, although the promise of an even better Olympus to come is also tempting .... There's always something newer and better just around the corner, isn't there?

What kind of difference in image quality can we expect from the G1 vs. the E420 vs. whatever Olympus introduces?
  • 09-16-2008, 07:18 AM
    Sushigaijin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patia
    I'm VERY interested in the G1, although the promise of an even better Olympus to come is also tempting .... There's always something newer and better just around the corner, isn't there?

What kind of difference in image quality can we expect from the G1 vs. the E420 vs. whatever Olympus introduces?

Since it uses the same sensor format, the image quality should be the same as Olympus DSLRs. Of course, we still have to see if the new m4/3 lenses are as good as the standard size 4/3 lenses and we still have to see if the newest crop of 4/3 sensors and processors are up to snuff.
  • 09-16-2008, 07:50 PM
    rigel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    Of course, we still have to see if the new m4/3 lenses are as good as the standard size 4/3 lenses and we still have to see if the newest crop of 4/3 sensors and processors are up to snuff.

The lenses would be THE defining factor in image quality IMO. I bet we can expect the same excellent quality with Zuiko M4/3 lenses :thumbsup:
  • 09-23-2008, 12:00 AM
    rigel
    2 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Finally, the one with the video mode:
    http://www.photographyblog.com/index...onic_lumix_hd/

Check out the stereo mics on the pop-up flash cover.
  • 09-30-2008, 11:17 PM
    Justintoxicated
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Good point. I am pretty pleased with the E-520 size and weight. I think this is one of those things where I'm going to have to just wait and see how they both feel in my hands. The G1 is 30% smaller than the E-420. And 30% is a fair amount - especially considering the E-420 is smaller than the E-520 and has no image stabilization. It's possible that the Olympus camera will be a bit bigger if they include sensor-level image stabilization, and I hope they do. The Micro Four Thirds lenses are supposed to be 6mm smaller on the outer diameter. That doesn't sound like much, but it will add up with larger lenses and make a noticeable difference in the overall size and weight of your camera gear. And if size and weight are a serious issue, every ounce (28.35 g) counts. Backpackers, cyclists, climbers, and light travelers should all be very interested in the new cameras.

my friend has the 420, its pretty small but not quite pocketable. It does make my 520 look huge in comparison :)

The high Grade 50mm is a light compact lens I would consider using over 14-42 etc so I would hope to be able to use such lenses on micro SLR. Then again, maybe a whole new line of lenses would make more sense anyways.
  • 10-01-2008, 06:37 PM
    v2d8
    thanks for help
  • 01-12-2009, 06:16 AM
    silversport
    I wonder if this camera will be the new direction...bigger and better than a point and shoot...close to but not quite a traditional DSLR...market that Panasonic and Olympus envision...has anyone any information on any other companies scrambling for their own micro 4/3rds designs???