Macro with the 12-60mm

Printable View

• 03-09-2010, 04:16 PM
    Greg McCary
    2 Attachment(s)
    Macro with the 12-60mm
    It has been ask here before how well the 12-60mm does Macro. It ain't my cup of tea but these were growing in the front yard, it was cloudy so I tried a couple of shots. Man I have to hand it to someone who can make a nice flower shot. It is certainly not easy.
  • 03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
    armando_m
    Re: Macro with the 12-60mm
    I think they are great , awesome colors, and very sharp

I prefer the composition of the second photo
  • 03-09-2010, 05:45 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    It has been ask here before how well the 12-60mm does Macro. It ain't my cup of tea but these were growing in the front yard, it was cloudy so I tried a couple of shots. Man I have to hand it to someone who can make a nice flower shot. It is certainly not easy.

Wow! Beautiful shots! I love the color, and they are sharp. The composition is right on!

Liz
  • 03-11-2010, 06:39 AM
    calexp
    Nice colors, composition on 2nd is better.
    Haven't use 12-60 for macro (or anything else :D since i don't have it) but i've done macro with my 14-54ii and it's good.
    Not that good as a dedicated macro (like 35/3.5 or 50/2), but it gets me almost what i want.
  • 03-11-2010, 08:39 AM
    Iguanamom
    those are great. that lens is sharp, isn't it? I've done a few close ups with mine and really like the way they came out. Sharp as hell.
  • 03-11-2010, 10:52 AM
    Frog
    The colors look strange to me but maybe I've just never seen a crocus that color before.
    I agree that flowers are much more difficult than people think. To get something that is unique anyway. Your compositions are good and I agree the second is better. Clone out the far right petal.
    I would also suggest less dof. Don't know what aperture you used or how close you were with that lens or what f/stop was used but I'd open it if possible.
  • 03-11-2010, 01:12 PM
    calexp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog
    I would also suggest less dof. Don't know what aperture you used or how close you were with that lens or what f/stop was used but I'd open it if possible.

Unfortunately the 12-60 isn't a dedicated macro lens and has a small aperture for macro (f/4.0@60mm), so the dof is as good as it can be for this type of photography :(
    On the other hand, the 50mm f2.0 is great for macro but it isn't that versatile as the 12-60.
  • 03-11-2010, 01:48 PM
    Iguanamom
    When I'm out doing macro specifically, I bring the manual Zuiko 90mm f2. Yeah, it's long on the E body, but it's damn sharp. I find the 12-60 is fine for quick closeups of stuff when I'm out just doing general outdoors shooting. Its versatility is its real strength, but sometimes a more specialized tool is worth having.
  • 03-11-2010, 02:25 PM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog
    The colors look strange to me but maybe I've just never seen a crocus that color before.
    I agree that flowers are much more difficult than people think. To get something that is unique anyway. Your compositions are good and I agree the second is better. Clone out the far right petal.

Thanks all, Frog I think I shot this at f/11. I know that is high but my problem is if I focus on the center of the flower the front pedal is always OOF. I guess maybe I need to focus on the front and lower the F/stop. Again this is out of my league but was mostly intended to show the sharpness of the 12-60mm. Maybe I can get some practice this spring when the flowers really come out.
  • 03-11-2010, 02:28 PM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Iguanamom
    When I'm out doing macro specifically, I bring the manual Zuiko 90mm f2. Yeah, it's long on the E body, but it's damn sharp. I find the 12-60 is fine for quick closeups of stuff when I'm out just doing general outdoors shooting. Its versatility is its real strength, but sometimes a more specialized tool is worth having.

I would love to see a few pictures madde with the 90mm if you have any to share.
  • 03-11-2010, 04:19 PM
    Iguanamom
    I don't want to hijack your thread, but I can start another if you like.
  • 03-11-2010, 04:23 PM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Iguanamom
    I don't want to hijack your thread, but I can start another if you like.

Yes start another thread. Thanks.
  • 03-13-2010, 12:04 AM
    Georgeo
    1 Attachment(s)
    Just got my new 12-60mm he is one of my first shots with it, hand held, pretty average but will get better with some practice:
  • 03-13-2010, 12:12 AM
    Georgeo
    could have maybe closed the f-stops a touch, this is wide open at 60mm (f4), iso 100 (e-620), cropped a touch
  • 03-13-2010, 04:21 AM
    Greg McCary
    Yes Georgo best thing for Macro is a good tripod, one that can get low to the ground.