• 12-19-2013, 01:52 PM
    Erik_Olympus
    Looks Like My E-520 Bit the Dust
    Unfortunately, my E-520 is no longer functioning properly. I can't get the camera to focus properly and the dust removal system has started making a terrible grinding noise when I turn on the camera.

It started with the focus. I was taking photos indoors with low light and no flash. Although the light was challenging I can usually get passable shots. This was a middle school holiday concert in the school auditorium. Every shot I took was out of focus. At first I thought it might be the conditions but even in bright light I can't get it to focus. I've tried manual focus and also tried to figure out if the camera was in focus anywhere in the focal plane. Does not appear that way.

Also, at first there didn't appear to be a problem with the dust filter, but after I turned the camera on and off a few times it started making the grinding noise. I'm not sure if the focus and the dust removal problem are related or if they are two separate issues.

Anyway, my gut tells me this isn't going to be cheap to repair. Given it's the holidays, I'm a little short on disposable income and wasn't budgeting for a new camera anytime in the near future. Should I even bother trying to get a quote for a repair or should I look for a used replacement camera? I've seen E-520s and E-620s used for less than $300 and on Ebay for less than $200.

I've also been eying the micro 4/3 cameras so considering just changing to that and getting an adapter for my existing lenses (two kit lenses, 50mm Macro, 70-300mm and 9-18mm wide angle.

Any suggestions?
  • 12-19-2013, 03:26 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Looks Like My E-520 Bit the Dust
    Wow, I am sorry to hear this. I agree a replacement would most likely be the best option. Just to get you by the holidays maybe look for an E1. I have seen them used as low as $100.00 in nice condition. E3s are bargains too. I thought about getting an E1 just for those nice Kodak colors. A pro body will last many years. Most used ones I see only have a couple of thousand clicks on them.
    Heck even E5s are going around $800.00 now.
  • 12-27-2013, 12:18 PM
    Photo-John
    Sorry to hear about the death of your E-520, Erik. I agree that it probably isn't worth bothering to get it repaired. You can probably replace it for the same amount of money.

Have you made a decision about what to do, yet? It's a tough call choosing between a Micro Four Thirds camera and sticking with the E-System. With a Micro Four Thirds body you'll get a better sensor but you'll also need new lenses. You'll also be giving up the eye-level viewfinder unless you buy an OM-D or get an accessory EVF. I think the most efficient thing to do would be to buy a new E-620 or other Olympus DSLR body.

Please give us an update. I'd like to know what you end up doing.
  • 02-05-2014, 01:04 PM
    Erik_Olympus
    It's taken me a while but I've decided to buy a E-PM2. I found a body-only deal for $275 that I couldn't refuse. I also bought a used MMF-1 so I can use my existing lenses although will eventually get some native m4/3 lenses.

I did consider getting a used E-system camera but in the end I was enticed by the newer technology.

The camera is on order and should arrive by late next week. I'll be sure to post some impressions.