Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Thread: New lens

New lens

The question that originally lead me to this forum was what lens to buy after some pointers by you guys I bought the original version of the Zuiko 40-150mm f3.5-4.5
    I haven't seen the glass yet and its been seating in my mothers house since I bought it. The holidays are coming and I`ll get to visit her and the rest of the gang and yes! pick up the new lens

The question is...do I need to do a camera software update of some sort before hooking up the new toy to my E-420?

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Re: New lens

No update should be needed, you should be fine.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    No update should be needed, you should be fine.

Thanks Greg :thumbsup: I like plug and play kind of things

I asked because I read somewhere that you needed to update the camera software in order to have a 100% functional AF. But to be honest I could not recall if it was here or even if it was related to the Evolts.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Firmware is often updated on both cameras and lenses, and its always recommended to have the latest firmware, but all 4/3 system lenses should work with 4/3 bodies.

But upgrading the firmware on both is quick and easy to do.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic2
    Firmware is often updated on both cameras and lenses, and its always recommended to have the latest firmware, but all 4/3 system lenses should work with 4/3 bodies.

But upgrading the firmware on both is quick and easy to do.
    Now that surprised me Atomic....never thought lenses had a firmware also...I thought they were pure mechanical gadgets and the camera did the rest.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRob
    Now that surprised me Atomic....never thought lenses had a firmware also...I thought they were pure mechanical gadgets and the camera did the rest.

Yep, I can't say for certain about all other makes, but I'm certain that all the autofocus lenses for 4/3 system [sigma included] have firmware that governs the way the lens operates and communicates with the camera. Olympus updates their firmware rather often actually. Check if your lens and body are up to date
    http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...tware/firm/e1/
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic2
    Yep, I can't say for certain about all other makes, but I'm certain that all the autofocus lenses for 4/3 system [sigma included] have firmware that governs the way the lens operates and communicates with the camera. Olympus updates their firmware rather often actually. Check if your lens and body are up to date
    http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...tware/firm/e1/
    Great link....thanks Atomic.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Thread Information