Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

9-18mm Test shots

I have had the 9-18mm lens in my bag for some time and just haven't used it. I just can't seem to take the 12-60mm off long enough. This morning and yesterday afternoon was a strange couple of days. I just couldn't get any angles like I had worked out in my head and the lighting just wasn't co-operating it seemed.:idea:
    Maybe I am just having brain freeze or something. But I did mount up the 9-18mm and started using it some. Here are a couple of shots. I do find that I like the lens but just don't see that it is that much wider than the 12-60mm. I am sure it is but if I have the room to step back. Could I use it for an everyday lens? Yes. I find the focal length right in my style. If I didn't own the 12-60mm it would probably stay on my camera. The auto focus is nice and fast and I had no issues there. I mostly manual focus when I am landscaping but did auto focus a few.
    I think I am going to force myself to park the 12-60mm for awhile and see where it goes. My only issue right now is that I have to hold a grad filter in front of it because I haven't got a 72mm ring for it and filter supplies are are hard to find. Everything is back ordered and I can't get my hands on one.
    I would highly recommend this lens. If you are looking to go wide this one will certainly get the job done. :thumbsup:

Sprinkler 9-18mm by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr

9-18mm Self Portrait by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr

Three Mile Road by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Re: 9-18mm Test shots

Greg,

These are excellent shots! I love the color - they are sharp......the subject and composition are fine.

Last year I finally bit the bullet and purchased the 9-18. I was quite surprised - and very happy with the results. I've gotten some beautiful images of the ocean, sailboats, etc. from Enders Island in Connecticut. I still have to transfer them from the camera.

Thanks for sharing. I love the last one especially.

Liz

I've been wanting this lens for a while now. I have the 11-22, but want the slightly wider view of the 9-18.

The big question is: is there a big difference in the IQ of these lenses? Am I going to lose some quality by doing this?

With what they're going for now, I could probably sell the 11-22, buy a 9-18, and pocket some money out of the deal.
    Olympus E-P1
    Olympus E-PL2
    14-42mm, 11-22mm

http://guzziknight.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by guzziknight View Post
    I've been wanting this lens for a while now. I have the 11-22, but want the slightly wider view of the 9-18.

The big question is: is there a big difference in the IQ of these lenses? Am I going to lose some quality by doing this?

With what they're going for now, I could probably sell the 11-22, buy a 9-18, and pocket some money out of the deal.
    Well the 9-18mm is a standard lens while the 11-22mm is a high grade lens. I would think you would lose just a slight amount of shapness. I know thw 9-18mm doesn't seem as sharp as my 12-60mm, but you have to look hard. You will also lose a couple of stops in speed and the performance of the 9-18mm won't be as good as the 11-22mm. So to answer your question. Unless you print large pictures I doubt you will notice much drop in IQ. You will see it more on the performance side. But the 9-18mm is more of a landscape lens than any thing else to me so I manual focus the biggest part of the time and also use a tripod so speed really isn't an issue with me.
    In the long run I hope to pick up the 7-14mm. Maybe at the end of the year if used prices continue to fall. You could always pick up the 9-18mm and try it out. Sale it if you don't like it. It is a popular lens and reselling would be easily done.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Like you, the speed of the lens isn't critical for me. 99% of the time, the camera is on a tripod. I actually want to get a smaller lens for portability on the E-P1. The 11-22 isn't a small lens.

I usually enlarge to 16x20 and 20x24, which I've done with the 14-42 kit lens, so I'm thinking the 9-18 will be better than that.

I'm not convinced prices will come down much. A year ago, when I bought the E-600, I was finding 9-18s for $375, now you're lucky to find one under $450. Also, the 11-22 was selling for around $500 used, now it's around $650. Maybe that's just a sign of a better economy, I don't know.
    Olympus E-P1
    Olympus E-PL2
    14-42mm, 11-22mm

http://guzziknight.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by guzziknight View Post
    Like you, the speed of the lens isn't critical for me. 99% of the time, the camera is on a tripod. I actually want to get a smaller lens for portability on the E-P1. The 11-22 isn't a small lens.

I usually enlarge to 16x20 and 20x24, which I've done with the 14-42 kit lens, so I'm thinking the 9-18 will be better than that.

I'm not convinced prices will come down much. A year ago, when I bought the E-600, I was finding 9-18s for $375, now you're lucky to find one under $450. Also, the 11-22 was selling for around $500 used, now it's around $650. Maybe that's just a sign of a better economy, I don't know.
    I feel the 9-18mm is sharper than the 14-42. It has been a long time since I shot with the 14-42mm and the last time I used the 14-42mm was on an E-500. The DOF is also very good with the 9-18mm. Light weight as well. But the AF is better than I thought. Certainly not as good as the 12-60mm but nothing to complain about. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information