Lens Add-ons

Printable View

• 06-13-2011, 07:23 PM
    weilkevin
    Lens Add-ons
    I've read a bit about the ability to add a little zoom to my lens using the TCON-17. None of what I've read has been very clear on how to go about doing this or whether or not its worth it.

Also, are there any other worthwhile add-ons? I've read a little about UV filters but I'm not really sure what they're used for.

Is Olympus planning on releasing any similar lens add-ons for other effects? Such as wide angle or fish eye?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.
  • 06-14-2011, 01:06 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Lens Add-ons
    What camera are you wanting to use this on? Yes they work but may slow your cameras focus. Make sure you get on specifically for your camera or lens.
    UV filters are used to protect your lens from damage, scratches, sand ect. I never use one anymore. You will get mixed opinions on the use of one.
  • 06-14-2011, 01:34 PM
    weilkevin
    O right. I have the XZ-1 which is why I'm skeptical about there being any add-ons.
  • 06-14-2011, 04:32 PM
    Greg McCary
    What effect are you wanting? Fisheye? wide angle? You can create fisheye effects in PhotoShop.
  • 06-14-2011, 08:06 PM
    weilkevin
    Ah ok, I suppose the fish eye is just more of a novelty.

I'm looking for more of a wide angle or enhanced optical zoom. Everything I've read about the TCON-17 add on makes it seem a little useless but I feel like it's promising that it exists at all haha.

Any thoughts?
  • 06-14-2011, 10:20 PM
    Eleanor Maw
    Best to lower the ISO and crop the photos with Photoshop than use a tele lens add-on, as for wide add-ons, forget it, the quality just isn't there :D