Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
    WARNING Takes Random Pictures MonkeyWrench's Avatar

Is the Olympus SP-550UZ 7.1MP worth paying the extra money.?

I know this is not an SLR but what do you think about the Olympus SP-550UZ 7.1MP Digital Camera with Dual Image Stabilized and 18x Optical Zoom? It's a bit pricy at about $450 give or take. Some of the reviews I've read have me concerned about Images being soft. I am planning a vacation to Hawaii next year and am looking for a reasonable digital P&S backup for my SLR. If the quality is there it meets all my qualifications except price. Was hoping to get by for about $300.

Even though its not a SLR if I bought it could I still post in this forum?

Re: Is the Olympus SP-550UZ 7.1MP worth paying the extra money.?

I for one do not care much for the Olympus Sp line. I had an Olympus SP400 I think or 450? I forget. I gave it to my brother. My the D line cameras are great, I have a D545 and had a D540 I think but it broke. Check into the D series cameras. For point and shoot I use Pentax S40 and I have a S50. The color on these cameras are outstanding and the focus is right on the money. Search Ebay for the S50 Optio Pentax I love them. Look on my web page at my aerial photos, I strap a S40 to my RC airplane and snap away. If it will shoot that clear imagin what it will do on the ground. My only beef with the Pentax cameras is they love good batteries, if you try to use cheap o's it will not even turn on.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

How can I be lost

The only negative thing I have found about this camera is the speed of the lens. It is slow to come on and focus but it takes outstanding pictures. I think the slow speed is due to the length of the lens. The 500's are dropping in price since the release of the 510. By Christmas you might actually get a 500 for close to your price range. I think that it might be a good idea to wait until after the Thanksgiving holidays when the sales start. If you don't have a back pack I might suggest getting one. They are sure nice to have and one would probably come in handy.
    And yes, any Olympus product is welcome here.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Cameta Camera offers disply E500's you can pick up for like $400. Thats where I bought mnie they are great to deal with. Cameta camera has an Ebay store. I bought mine off Ebay.

How can I be lost

curent pricing on SP550-Uz is near $250 and the SP560-UZ which overcomes most of the shortcomings of it predecessor can be had around $350 and with that 18x wide lens it's hard to beat. Have a good holiday in Hawaii

Thread Information