Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Talking Hellow Everybody!

Hi there chaps! Took me 3 posts to identify a quality forum and gang so I joined up!

The funny thing is that I could not find a Welcome Section or some Introduction area for the new people signing up just like my self...(may be I need more coffee and did not see it LOL) so I`ll do it here...
    I`m a Mexican young architect that lives up north the country and always been interested in photography (my dad`s heritage).
    Almost a year ago I went from point and shoots to DSLR I bought the best my money could afford at the time. I wanted something light easy to travel with ( I remember my dad complaining about multiple heavy lenses LOL) and I bought an Oly E-420 with the 14-42 lens. Then I realized that I`m doing a big mistake...I handle this as my previous camera...always on AUTO or one of the presets....I assume I`m not getting all the juice from the camera. TBH I know squat about photography...hopefully in here some will take me under your wing and show me a couple of tricks and hints.

Any way I`ll be around trying to suck knowledge as a sponge and hopefully end up with a bunch of new friends around.:thumbsup:

Re: Hellow Everybody!

Welcome to PR! Here is the official; welcome thread (Viewfinder is the least formal forum):

Welcome!!

A very simplified primer to get you started: There are 3 things that control how much exposure (light) you get.

- ISO - The higher the number, the more light (and the grainier it looks).

- Shutter Speed - The slower the shutter speed, the more light (and the more time there is for things to get blurry from movement).

- Aperture or F/stop - The smaller the number, the more light (and the less Depth of View which is how deep the focus is).

Now put you camera in Manual (M); find your ISO, shutter speed and f/stop settings; start changing the 3 parameters and see what happens.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Re: Hellow Everybody!

Thanks a lot mate.
    I do understand some of the basic concepts but I haven't played with them (bad boy I´m lazy)
    But that "foreplay" with my camera is just what I need to do as yo said.

Cheers.

Thread Information