Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Help locking the focus? - e520

I can never seem to be able to lok the focus unless I'm in MF mode.

What I'm trying to do is use the S-AF + MG, or C-AF + MF.

So I point and it adjusts the focus, then I adjust it manualy (lock it in) and then shoot.

Well every time I shoot, it autofocuses again.... Acording to the manual it appears that this should at least work in C-AF+MF, Focus using the button, then release, manual focus, then press the AFL/AEL button (Focus should be locked). However when I press the button again, it auto focuses! What the hell good is C-AF+MF if you can't use the MF?

Re: Help locking the focus? - e520

Switch your AEL button to toggle, it is probably on hold now. Or start holding your AEL button, I prefer that way anyways.

I tried it both ways without success...

Ahh I have to set teh C-AF mode to 3- or 4, and then the press to take picture button does not focus (so it's not really locked you just bypass the auto focus)...
    Last edited by Justintoxicated; 07-14-2008 at 03:28 PM.

I think the AEL/AFL button has to be programmed to lock focus. You can program it several ways. Check the manual. I am not familiar with the 520 but the E3 has a C-AF lock setting that has to be ON
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

play with the menus, on my 510, its the Wrenchmenu1
    scroll down to the AEL/AFL, then play with the different options, mine is set to 2,2,3
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Please post a review for your E-520 in the user review section. I believe you'll be the first and we need that review. If you haven't had it long, we can always replace your review later, after you get to know the camera better. But it would be good to have a review in there as soon as possible.

Olympus E-520 User Reviews >>

Thanks in advance for your review!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I get my prime lense this weekend, but I don't think I'm qualified for a review as this is my first slr I'd be happy to post some pictures and note anything I found useful or strange. I will see if I can borrow my friends 40-150 (new version) as well for a few pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Justintoxicated
    I get my prime lense this weekend, but I don't think I'm qualified for a review as this is my first slr I'd be happy to post some pictures and note anything I found useful or strange. I will see if I can borrow my friends 40-150 (new version) as well for a few pictures.
    You don't have to be a pro to write a review A beginners point of view in the review section would certainly help photographers of your level. Your thoughts on the lens would even help me. I have never owned a prime for an SLR.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Justintoxicated
    Everyone is qualified to write a review. It's the variety and number of user reviews that make them valuable - not the experience of the person writing. The more diversity we have the better. There's someone out there who's just like you and thinking about buying an E-520. That person needs to read your review. Just describe your experience level and interests, be honest, and give as much detail as possible. You don't have to be a pro to write a review. We have a pro review section for those reviews (I'm working on an E-520 review right now). Your review is just as important as anyone else's. In fact, since no one has posted one yet for the E-520, your review will be the most important!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information