Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Thread: Going Digital?

Going Digital?

I have an old OM2 series camera and a number of lenses from back in the 80's that I still use occasionally, other than that I use a fairly good quality point and shoot. I'm considering going digital SLR and have the following Olympus related questions.

1 - I understand that olympus has an adaptor for their digital cameras for use with the old OM lenses. Has anyone used one and with what results?

2 - Will my old T20 flash work with a new Olypus digital?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Going Digital?

yes there is an adapter, and if you dont mind manual focusing and stopping down, the combination of digital sensor and legacy lenses has great results.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Re: Going Digital?

I'm not an Oly shooter, but I have recently tried using some manual focus lenses on my Canon 450D. It is totally possible, but not very practical. Manually focusing on a DSLR is much harder than it is with an old manual focus film slr, because the autofocus DSLR focus screen is smaller, has no split image aid, and is designed to let the maximum amount of light pass through it. It is much harder to tell when things are focused properly, because they will look in focus when they're not. If you have very good eyes, lots of light, and take things very slowly, it can be done, but don't expect it to be like shooting with your OM2. If you set the camera on a tripod and use live view to zoom in on the image, you can focus just fine, but this has obvious limitations.

Another thing to note is that the Oly DSLR has a crop factor of 2. This means a 50mm lens used on an Oly DSLR will have the field of view that a 100mm lens has on a film camera.

Another thing to consider is that you can mount your manual focus Oly glass on a Canon DSLR and it will work the same way it works on an Oly DSLR. I'm not trying to steer you away from Oly. They are good cameras. Just wanted to let you know there are other options.

Good luck,
    Paul

Thread Information