Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

lens cap trouble?

hey there. i was wondering if this is a known issue, or if anyone else has had this problem. i had put a new hoya digital pro uv filter on my 40-150 f3.5-4.5 lens. i was using the olympus lens cap that came with my e-510 kit. my filter now has tons of little spots and scrapes all over what seems to be the outer coating. i had to guess that it's being caused by the lens cap because nothing else really touches the thing. plus, this had only been a couple of days since i it was brand new. now i took the uv filter off of the lens and i think the cap might be doing the same thing to my lens surface.
    i know a lot of people have the lens i'm talking about, if you've seen the same thing, please let me know. or if you've been using the same cap and not having any problems....

thanks for any help or advice.

Re: lens cap trouble?

I have used UV filters, polarizers and ND grads of all brands on my 14-54mm and have never had an issue with the lens cap scratching the lens or any filter. . But that is what the UV is for. Can you post some pictures of the UV? Does the lens cap looked damaged like it might have a sharp edge on it?
    I don't have any kind of filter on my 40-150mm and have never got a scratch. I would not use the lens until I could get a new UV and would consider a new cap too.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

here's some pic of the problem. the lens cap seems to be perfect. i just dont get it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lens cap trouble?-lens1.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ouch that sucks

Wow you made me go double check mine. I have no issues with mine. Are those marks on the inside of the UV? I would certainly get another UV before using the cap or lens anymore. Maybe you should get a push on off of ebay? Soft plastic. At least it's not a $1500.00 lens.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xwingkiller
    if you've seen the same thing, please let me know
    I've seen similar.
    When I've got desperate and blown the dust off with my mouth, not a blower.
    Or after a bunch of flies had crawled over my lens.

Have you tried to clean the filter yet?
    Eclipse or similar fluid and a pec pad might shift it.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

i havent cleaned it with anything wet yet. tried to buff it out with microfiber and it didn't do anything. if it really is just something on the filter, that would be a nice relief. i'll try with some cleaner fluid. cant get any worse.

I use those alcohol cleaning pads you get for your eyeglasses. They work great. I keep several of them in my camera bag.

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I use those alcohol cleaning pads you get for your eyeglasses. They work great. I keep several of them in my camera bag.
    Don't all alcahol based cleaners destroy all the coatings like the anti-glare etc?

so, i tried this "digital lens cleaning kit" it has an alcohol based cleaning fluid and some tissue paper. the makrs that were on the filter and lens are now gone. so i guess whatever it was came off and just wouldnt come off with a dry cloth only, or the scratches were in a layer of coating that just completely came off from the cleaner. =)

im guessing based on what smartwombat said...that it was just something on there that wont rub off.

thanks guys.

I am glad it worked out. You should try and clean a Hoya 72. It almost completely black.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information