Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FL-36 or Metz Mecablitz 48

the metz is tempting,
    http://www.tipa.com/awa_detail_2008....KeyValue=32962

but the Oly is cheaper, does it have any other advantages?
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Re: FL-36 or Metz Mecablitz 48

I think I would seriously consider the Metz. With the TIPA award there must be something to it. Have you compared the power and range against the FL-36?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

After checking the specs the Metz does seem to have a slight advantage over the 36, but it is also about $70.00 higher. I guess it's a toss up and really depends on how much power you need in a flash. But I am glad to see a nice third party flash on the market as well.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

might also consider that the metz is almost twice the size and takes 4 batteries compared to 2.

I've used the fl-36 (and fl-50), but not the metz. Just to clarify, although xwingkiller said it was twice the size, I think that's in reference to weight since they are comparable in actual size - the metz is slightly larger.

That said, I like the fl-36 since it's really easy to handle, but if size/weight isn't an issue, it seems that the metz has somewhat better output, and I'd bet that the flash recycle time is a lot faster (not positive, never used the metz). The fl-36 started feeling sluggish whenever I pushed it past 1/2 power.

the biggest issue for me is the recycle time, honestly. i keep hearing reviews about how the recycle time is very slow on the 36, and the TIPA awards said something about how fast the Metz is, from .1 seconds to 4 seconds

i am worried a bit about weight, but not all that much,
    but the next biggest issue for me would be how fast the battery drain is, and how well the camera will communicate with the body.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

FL-36 recycle times were acceptable when I used it (just a couple weeks), but could have been better. It was fine at low power, and if I chimped the shot it was usually ready when I was done except at or near full power. The Metz 48 is much, much faster if it's recycle time is really .1 to 4, I mean my longer recycle waits were well over 5 seconds. The extra batteries must help a lot here.

I don't remember exactly, but I think I was getting about 150+ shots on fresh batteries on the FL-36. I'm going to have to guess you'll get an extra 100 or so with the Metz because of the extra batteries, but don't quote me on that.

And obviously the FL-36 communicates flawlessly with E-series bodies, it's made for them. As for the Metz, I've never heard of any problems - just be sure to get the one made for Olympus bodies.

Honestly, if you don't mind the weight and the extra couple bucks, I'd go for that over the FL-36, especially if you're worried about recycle rate and battery drain.

i just want to make sure theres absolutely no advantages to getting the FL-36 that i dont know about.

you think theres some features or things the FL-36 can do because its olympus that a metz cannot?
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

here's two questions i was left with after doing a little research...

1. is the AF Assist on the fl-36 way better since it has 3 beams rather than just one? i heard that the metz af assist is pretty weak.

2. i was reading that the fl-36 can be mounted on a tripod and activated by the pop-up flash on your camera...is it the same on the metz?

i'm also thinking about getting a flash sometime soon and i was pretty well sold on the fl-36, but now you got me thinking about the metz 48 because i was reading that the recycle time on it is really super fast compared to pretty slow on the fl-36.

OH YES! the flash assist, i totally forgot about that... good call
    it said this about the metz
    "•Wireless full TTL triggering via a camera or flash with commander/master mode"

what is this commander/master mode? does the 510 have it, anyone know?

anyone know how well the AF assist is on the metz?
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

i did some research, and read some user reviews, seems people are very happy with the 48

i will go with that, even if the autofocus assist isnt great... cant be worse than the strobe light used by the body for AF assist
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

be sure to post a review when you get it.
    i'm saving for my 50mm f2 and 70-300mm lenses but i keep getting tempted to grab a flash and vertical grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic2
    OH YES! the flash assist, i totally forgot about that... good call
    it said this about the metz
    "•Wireless full TTL triggering via a camera or flash with commander/master mode"

what is this commander/master mode? does the 510 have it, anyone know?

anyone know how well the AF assist is on the metz?
    1. FL-36 AF assist was perfect. Never had a focus problem even on the most difficult of subjects. Basing this next statement off the specs of the 48 and a couple reviews like this, it seems the Metz is an average performer (but no worse) in this area.

2. Unfortunately, the 510 does not have an actual "commander/master" mode. To set off a slave flash, you have set your flash power manually (so you'll have to figure out the correct exposure yourself).. Otherwise, the 510 will shoot off a preflash to meter the actual flash, which will set off a slave flash too early.

thanks for posting that review, albot.

and just mentioning, your estimate of 250 shots in the battery life seems to be right on the money according to this site....
    http://en.toppreise.ch/index.php?a=137210&view=ab
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

It arrived today

so far im happy with it but I dont really know what to look for, this is my first flash gun.

It is quite heavy together with my 12-60, but thats largely due to the lens. it feels very balanced and solid when its all together, but still a tad heavier than i expected.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

how is the AF assist? I want one now too :P I can't decide but saving $70 dosen't sound so bad either.
    Last edited by Justintoxicated; 07-21-2008 at 08:04 PM.

its better than nothing, and i prefer much more than the strobe action that the body does for AF assist... but its not great. odd thing is, i feel like its not pointed right, like the path of the AF assist lamp is too high, not where im focusing
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

sounds like teh FL-36 is better deal for the money then?

i think the main thing is what you're going to be doing with it.
    there's two things against the fl36...it takes two batteries instead of 4, so it just doesnt have the juice to recharge as fast as the 48. the other thing is that it the flash power is not as great as the 48. the main thing i was thinking is that if you tried to compare the metz 48's recharge speed to the fl36, you would also have to be using the metz at lower than its max power ability. this means that the two arent even going to be anywhere near close when it comes to the recharge times. im thinking that the metz 48 set at the same power as the fl36 would probably be near instant, where the 36 being at full power is supposedly around 8 seconds.

now, if thats not a big deal because you wont ever be using the fl36 at full power, or you dont need to shoot consecutive flash shots...then i would guess that the fl36 is the way to go because of better af assist beams and the smaller/lighter size of it. (plus better price)

this is the problem that i have because i just havent decided which is most important to me. my thinking as of now is that i will eventually, or even occasionally now, need the better flash. in that case the metz would be cheaper because i wouldnt be wasting $180 by getting the other flash now and a better one later.

the way I see it, it takes a second TOPS to set manual focus. two seconds if you're factoring in that you have to set it to MF. but for subsequent shots, its less than a second.
    but on the FL-36, your worst case scenario is to wait 5 or more seconds before taking another shot? worse if the batteries arent fresh?
    with the metz, you only run a risk of missing a shot if your focus isnt instant, which i cant imagine it would be with the FL-36 either.

im happy with the metz. you guys should peruse ebay to see if another deal like mine opens up. i got the metz for 170 shipped
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

Hmmm I'm not that great at manual focusing in the dark. I guess its jsut me but I can never focus well through the viewfinder manualy unless I use the live view and then zoom in 10x so I can really see if the camera is focused or not, perhaps my vision is a little off.

So I either get poor focus or poor flash range. Sounds like loose loose to me, so pictures will be either blury or too dark... Guess I'll look for the Metz when I get back from vacation.

i mean the autofocus isnt THAT bad, its just not awesome
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

the way I see it, it takes a second TOPS to set manual focus. two seconds if you're factoring in that you have to set it to MF. but for subsequent shots, its less than a second.
    but on the FL-36, your worst case scenario is to wait 5 or more seconds before taking another shot? worse if the batteries arent fresh?
    with the metz, you only run a risk of missing a shot if your focus isnt instant, which i cant imagine it would be with the FL-36 either.

im happy with the metz. you guys should peruse ebay to see if another deal like mine opens up. i got the metz for 170 shipped
    I have been looking but I can't find anything under$245 shipped as usual live search through ebay is a couple bucks more than amazon for olympus camera stuff.

Should I bite @ $245?

I have no such luck, best I can find it for is $224 now but thats with 9 buisness day shipping...

i guess i got really lucky then.

I cant really say if the lens is worth the extra money over the FL-36, but from my experience now, flash recycle time is really annoying, so if its even worse on the 36, then i DEFINITELY recommend the Metz.

the most annoying thing really is waiting for the flash to power up the first time, when the batteries arent fresh, this wait excruciating.

also the extra range is probably worth it as well.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information