Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

for E510 - XD or CF -- and recommended brands?

Greetings -

Looking for a digital SLR.

Am considering getting an Olympus E510.

Would like to get pro's / con's as to go with CompactFlash or XD cards, and hear recommended brands.

Thanks.

- Richard
    oldWithoutMoney.com

Re: for E510 - XD or CF -- and recommended brands?

Compact flash are cheaper (typically), easier to find and more compatible with other cameras than XD. I'm also about 95% sure that they are capable of faster speeds, that is to say while not all CF cards are faster than all XD cards, the highest possible speed of a CF card is much higher than the highest possible speed of an XD card.

If you can't tell I'm not a huge fan of XD. I do however like the idea of a dual format camera, I just wished they'd gone with SD instead of XD, but from what I understand XD is an Olympus product.

Edit: I forgot to comment on brands. You can't go wrong with SanDisk, but I wouldn't make that your only option. I have a PNY card that has so far been fast and problem free.
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

Sandisk.

The ultra II are fine, although you will lose a frame or two in burst mode because the card isn't fast enough. Also slower on the upload to the PC. For the price, it may not matter.

The ultra III is as fast as the E510 can operate, but usually 40% more than comperable size of ultra II.

I have both, no complaints.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

the sandisk cf extreme 3 card is the safest way to go imo. you can get other brands for cheaper, but if you dont want any risk just spend the extra couple of bucks.

circuit city just had the 4gb sandisk extreme 3 on sale for $40. just look for a deal on these things and you will find it.

I use CF cards for the most part. Get a cheap card reader for your computer and uploading is faster and safer for the camera. If memory serves me, If you use an Olympus XD card you can stitch Panos with Olympus Master.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I'm honestly not sure if these problems will present themselves with an E-510 and an XD card, but you should read this:
    How can I initialize my xd picture card?

So in other words i still stand by my assertion that for this camera, go with CF.
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

I prefer CompactFlash because of its availability, price, and performance. I have used xD cards in lots of Olympus and Fujifilm compacts and the transfer rate when I copy to my computer is terribly slow. Same goes for formatting the cards in the camera. I honestly don't understand the reason for the xD card format. I think Fujifilm and Olympus should let go of it.

One reason to keep an xD card around, though, is that the panoramic mode will only work with an Olympus xD card. And the in-camera panoramic stitching is pretty neat. I haven't actually used it with the E-510. But I've been using it with the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW point-and-shoot I'm testing. And I think it's nice to be able to use that feature.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I really like the SanDisk Ultra IV cards in about a 2GB size. I have a couple and just ordered more. They are FAST, particularly when using the SanDisk FireWire 800 card reader or an ExpressCard reader. The Ultra III is a good choice also, I have one of those and it's barely slower on the computer, seems the same in-camera.

I would consider the xD cards to be a decent cheap backup. I've always wanted an in-camera backup system for critical photos, and as a new E-510 user, that's what I'm going to do. I also have an Olympus 770SW that uses only xD, so I have some around and I can interchange the cards between the two. I would not use xD as primary storage in a DSLR.

Thread Information