Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

E5 Olympus Camera for Product Photography

Hi There

I use the E-5 four thirds system to produce excellent product photography shots. With it, I use the 50mm macro lens as it has negligible image warping, splendid colour, and non-existent chromatic abrasions.

Here are my issues though:
    1. Olympus abandoned the four thirds system therefore my high grade 50-200 mm lens and all other high-end OLY products will not have a path for upgrades. For this erratic behaviour, I will never purchase an OLY camera again. Hello Nikon or Canon.

2. Lightroom does not support the Olympus E5 for tethered functions. Instead, I use the Olympus tethering software. It is okay, but I wanna use Lightroom.
    The E5 is a robust excellent camera, but I don't recommend it unless you've made a large investment in high grade glass. There are other units on the market that offer better value for the money and if you get a Canon or Nikion, you have a much better path for upgrades.

Jules Design

Re: E5 Olympus Camera for Product Photography

Welcome to PhotographyREVIEW.com, Jules! Since you're new you aren't allowed to start a new thread. But your post really deserved to be a unique discussion so I made it into a separate thread. Please do post a review for your E-5, though. We only have one user review for the E-5 right now so your review would be a welcome addition. Here's a link to that review page: Olympus E-5 User Reviews >>

I want to point out that Olympus has not said that they have abandoned their Four Thirds E-System digital SLRs. They sure have put most of their eggs in the Micro Four Thirds basket, though. And with their recent financial issues, who knows what's going to happen. But I'm sure I'm not the only one that's holding out hope that they will continue with their digital SLRs. I think I've been one of the most vocal fans of their cameras - mostly because I appreciated their small footprint and light weight. Olympus is also one of the most innovative camera companies and I'd like to see them continue to push the DSLR market.

If you decide to switch brands, I'd encourage you to take a very hard look at Sony's SLT cameras. I'm actually a Canon DSLR owner but I think Sony is pushing DSLR design and performance the hardest right now. You may not have been paying attention to them, but be sure that Nikon and Canon are keeping an eye on them
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The last "rumor" I read was that Olympus wasn't going to produce any more DSLRs except pro grade cameras. This was before the financial fall. With that said I couldn't bring myself to buy the 7-14mm lens. As bad as I wanted it I couldn't risk the chance that I wouldn't have an upgrade later down the road to put it on. So that was my dilemma. I chose to shoot dual systems. I had the opportunity this year to invest into more gear.
    With that said they Sony a77 is cheaper than the E5 and the technology far beyond the E5. Technology is changing quickly. Also I was hoping that my next upgrade or camera system was one that would offer me years of service with no need to upgrade unless I had an equipment failure.
    I really think Olympus could do themselves a big favor to just come out a say yes or no or even we don't know if we will be producing another 4/3rd camera. They have many loyal customers that deserve an answer.
    I have tried three or four m4/3rd cameras and just haven't warmed up to them. They don't feel comfortable in my hands and I just couldn't use it for a landscape rig, they are just not up to what I want out of a landscape camera. At one point I had the EVF but lived in fear of it falling off of the camera and being lost forever.
    Sometimes I wonder too has Olympus squeezed as much IQ out of the 4/3rd sensor as they are going to. Little improvement has been made in the sensor itself since the E3. Most advancement seems to be in a thinner AA filter and better processor.
    One thing I like about Sony is thay are true to their mount and old gear. i wouldn't hesitate in getting good Sony glass. It is a shame since I really think Olympus glass is the best on the market and you get more bang for the buck. Also when you buy Olympus products, like flashes, you seem to get more add ons than others. For example thier FL-50r comes with a dome diffuser. Their lenses comes with nice lens holders ect.
    I am certainly not trying to bash Olympus and I really avoid posting rumors. I don't like spreading fear.
    I still have my E5, mostly because I like the x2 crop factor. I miss that when I shoot with my Sony. Also the great Olympus glass. I still may pick up the 7-14mm. But olympus is going to have to show thier cards first.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

The 4/3rd lens maintain compatibility with their Micro 4/3rd cameras provided with the adapter. The Micro 4/3rd cameras do have the same sensor in them as the DSLR, and they are still improving upon the design. Though they may not neccesarily upgrade in mpix (though panasonic has produced a 16 mpix 4/3rd sensor), they will continue to improve the S/N ratio and AA filter as Greg points out.

Before I tried it myself, I would scoff at the prospect of throwing a big 4/3rd lens on a small pen body, I would have considered it impractical and unbalanced and perhaps a novelty. However, with the EVF attached, it felt quite natural and was not all that dissimilar to DSLR, even more practical and handy in many ways, would certainly work well with your 50. The AF won't be quite up to par with a DSLR's PDAF, especially attached to SWD lens. However, the AF advantage of DSLR is shrinking quite rapidly. This last year saw an enormous boost in the quality and speed of AF on mirrorless bodies.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 01-09-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    The 4/3rd lens maintain compatibility with their Micro 4/3rd cameras provided with the adapter. The Micro 4/3rd cameras do have the same sensor in them as the DSLR, and they are still improving upon the design. Though they may not neccesarily upgrade in mpix (though panasonic has produced a 16 mpix 4/3rd sensor), they will continue to improve the S/N ratio and AA filter as Greg points out.

Before I tried it myself, I would scoff at the prospect of throwing a big 4/3rd lens on a small pen body, I would have considered it impractical and unbalanced and perhaps a novelty. However, with the EVF attached, it felt quite natural and was not all that dissimilar to DSLR, even more practical and handy in many ways, would certainly work well with your 50. The AF won't be quite up to par with a DSLR's PDAF, especially attached to SWD lens. However, the AF advantage of DSLR is shrinking quite rapidly. This last year saw an enormous boost in the quality and speed of AF on mirrorless bodies.
    Well I like the size and shape and ruggedness of a pro body. I know I can put an adapter on it and use a m4/3rd. But I stilll like a DSLR for landscaping and shooting my daughters soccer games and some of the SHG lenses are very heavy. There is no use in getting SHG glass if you sacrifice focus speed. The Nex 7 is just a mini version of the a77. The NEX 7 also has a more rugged body than any of the Olympus offerings.
    But all this still doesn't help the fact that there are many Olympus faithful followers with high end lenses and an uncertain future. Olympus should come out and tell the loyal supporters what's going on.
    At another site that I am a member of that is for 4/3rd shooters. Many of the long time Olympus photogs are selling out. Some have been using Olympus products since the OM came out. Plus I am sure the sell of SHQ lenses has dropped. If Olympus came out and said we have an E7 under development I would pick up some SHG lenses. But for now I wait.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

oh heck yeah, they aren't a full-on DSLR replacement yet. But I think with time and improvements in tech, the M43 bodies will eventually render DSLR obsolete. Right now there is some give and take, and DSLR does have performance advantage especially for low-light and fast action AF. But I think that advantage gap is shrinking. Look how far they've come in narrowing the focus speed gap just this past year.

But you're right, Olympus does need to come up with an answer to Sony's A77, and they do need to come out and say something about a potential new DSLR.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Charlie I think you are right that Olympus is going full m4/3rd. Olympus will probably come out with something similar to the NEX. But the E5 still is a camera I could probably use for years and never need more IQ. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the 7-14mm.
    Do you know much about the Sigma 8-16mm for the Sony? I have one on the way.

Sony a99/a7R

whats happend

Thread Information