E420 Af

Printable View

• 12-21-2009, 11:11 AM
    BlueRob
    E420 Af
    Confirmed my Oly E420 suffers from lousy AF under low light, not talking about shooting in the dark but a moody indoor scene. According to AF confirmation all the pics I took yesterday were in focus, to my surprise after watching the files on my monitor they were far from being focused. In the ones I used flash I had no problem at all, the thing is that using flash, takes out the moody composition I was looking for.

I know I can use manual focus but I find it difficult, specially with portraits where you want to grab the moment or the perfect timing for a particular expression of the subject. Plus I use glasses which makes it more challenging.

I know the cam uses the flash as an AF light with several bursts, but I can not find the way to use this feature and avoid the flash firing in the actual pic.

Any ideas chaps?
  • 12-21-2009, 02:11 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: E420 Af
    I see in your sig that you are using the 14-42mm. I would suggest getting the 14-54mm. It focuses much better in low light. I think faster glass is your answer. There is a world of difference between the kit lens and the 14-54mm. If you ever upgrade bodies make sure you get IS as well. If you are serious about photography, and I think you are. Better glass is what you should shoot for. When you upgrade bodies you will always have the glass. My 14-54mm has been in three different bodies. The E500, E510 and now the E3.
  • 12-21-2009, 04:05 PM
    BlueRob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I see in your sig that you are using the 14-42mm. I would suggest getting the 14-54mm. It focuses much better in low light. I think faster glass is your answer. There is a world of difference between the kit lens and the 14-54mm. If you ever upgrade bodies make sure you get IS as well. If you are serious about photography, and I think you are. Better glass is what you should shoot for. When you upgrade bodies you will always have the glass. My 14-54mm has been in three different bodies. The E500, E510 and now the E3.

Thanks Greg, yes I have seen that lens and no doubt it´s far better than the kit lens, and have been very tempted but I´ll have to wait for some extra income to afford it.:mad2:
    Now... I´m pretty happy with the overall quality of the kit lens, this is my first "disappointment" and I think It would do Ok if manage to AF using the flash aid.
  • 12-21-2009, 05:31 PM
    Greg McCary
    Yes the kits are great lenses. I took some great pictures with mine before upgrading. As far as IQ the 14-54mm is slightly sharper, but just slightly. I would use a kit lens anytime without thinking twice.
  • 12-21-2009, 10:34 PM
    Sushigaijin
    Are you sure it's missing focus and not just blurred? Can you post an example?