Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

E3 or E30 Upgrade ??

Hi all,
    I am pondering an upgrade from the e510.
    Seems the E3 and the E30 can be had for about the same money. At least that what I see on eBay.
    Can you all point out a few of the major differences and tell me why you chose one model over the other.
    I am not a professional photographer but I still like quality.
    Is it safe to assume I can migrate my e510 lenses to the upgrade body?
    Should I really go this far or just try the e620?
    Thanks, Stan
    Stan

-N-E-X- Founding Member
    (New England XFires)

Nex.Blackxfire@Yahoo.com
    www.CrossfireForum.Org

Olympus E510
    14-42mm f3.5/5.6
    40-150mm f3.5-4.5

Re: E3 or E30 Upgrade ??

I faced the same dilemma as you and chose the E3. I love the weather sealed body, and having clean Jpegs past ISO1600. In its favor, the E30 is lighter, and has better dynamic range, but I feel having the stronger and more resilient body is more important than light weight, and less noise more important than higher dynamic range.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

I'am sorry, "higher dynamic range" translates to what? Please simplify for me. Thanks.
    Stan

-N-E-X- Founding Member
    (New England XFires)

Nex.Blackxfire@Yahoo.com
    www.CrossfireForum.Org

Olympus E510
    14-42mm f3.5/5.6
    40-150mm f3.5-4.5

Well, higher dynamic range means a great amount of light levels can be seen in one image at the same time.
    For instance, when the sun is right behind your subject, and you take a photo, you know how if the subject is correctly exposed, the sun in the background will be WAY over exposed... and likewise if the bright sky in the back was correctly exposed, the subject would be way UNDERexposed?

Typically cameras have about 9-11 stops of dynamic range. So aspects of the image that require for instance a 12 stop difference in shutter/aperture would either be totally blown out [white] or totally underexposed [black]

More dynamic range generally means the camera will be less prone to blowing out highlights or completely underexposing aspects of the image. When something is completely black or completely white, there is no detail there.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Thanks.
    Then your point of view makes sense. How often will the higher dynamic range realistically be needed? Better to go for the higher quality shots for the more common photos. Right?
    Stan
    Stan

-N-E-X- Founding Member
    (New England XFires)

Nex.Blackxfire@Yahoo.com
    www.CrossfireForum.Org

Olympus E510
    14-42mm f3.5/5.6
    40-150mm f3.5-4.5

Higher dynamic range will be useful more than you will know. If you don't mind a heavy camera I would swing for the E3. I took a 40ft fall in Feb taking the E3 with me. It survived without a scratch. But my lens busted. The E3 is built like a tank. I think a weather sealed body like the E3 will hold it's value better too.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Is it safe to say that the e620 will not compare to either the E3 or E30 in quality and features?
    Stan
    Stan

-N-E-X- Founding Member
    (New England XFires)

Nex.Blackxfire@Yahoo.com
    www.CrossfireForum.Org

Olympus E510
    14-42mm f3.5/5.6
    40-150mm f3.5-4.5

I haven't seen to many pictures with the 620. Noise levels at high ISO's is another point to explore. The E3 works fairly good up to 800 iso in low light. Maybe PJ can give some thoughts on the 620. Have you searched for his review?
    I have large hands so operating the E3 is easy enough for me. The body is bigger. Another point to consider too.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I think this boils down to how important the feature sets are. I have an E510 and an E3. The difference in average image quality is negligible.

In low light the E3 beats the 510 by about a stop and a half of ISO which is pretty substantial. The E3 is faster in every way. However, I bought my E3 so I could shoot in the rain - not because of any IQ improvement.

The current crop of cameras are very nice cameras but absolute image quality hasn't improved that much since the last batch. Yeah, you'll be able to shoot at a higher ISO and the per-pixel information is better. The dynamic range has improved and you're less likely to clip highlights and shadows. But when it comes right down to it, you're probably better off waiting another generation before you upgrade...unless there is some feature that you absolutely must have.

For me it was weather sealing - I shoot mostly nature/wildlife and I'm in the field a lot. I've now been down-poured on, misted, thunderstormed and I've washed the E3 under a running tap. For me it was an absolute must-have feature. Your must-have features might be different. Consider those VERY carefully, because you're money might be better spent on a new lens than a new body.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

I am also thinking about the move to a E3 and E30, my only concern is that i will most probably get the E3 due to weather sealed body but as soon as i will get the E3, oly will announce the replacement for E3

Quote Originally Posted by rubeel
    I am also thinking about the move to a E3 and E30, my only concern is that i will most probably get the E3 due to weather sealed body but as soon as i will get the E3, oly will announce the replacement for E3
    Could be but it may be awhile before you see another pro body, just as I write this Oly will probably announce a new one. LOL But one thing to consider pro bodies hold there value longer.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information