Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
    Liz

E-PL1 + E-620 - worth it?

The E-PL1 is my only camera and I'm very happy with it. It's good for most situations. However, I miss some of my (Canon) dslr features. Some of you know I've given some thought to purchasing the XSi for faster AF, dof and low light situations where the E-PL1 struggles a bit. I am seriously looking at another (small) dslr.

A few people here have mentioned the E-620 to keep it in one system (and share lenses which is a BIG plus). Up until now I haven't given too much consideration to the E-620 because the weaknesses include noise with higher ISO, relatively slow in low light which are exactly the reasons I'm considering a dslr. OTOH, I've also read some great reviews and posts (here).

I've mentioned in some older threads that I like to do portraits, flowers, etc. and really would like to get some smooth bokeh that I've gotten from my Canon lenses. I don't want to invest in the Oly 50mm/f2 macro until I know I can work with it. I did try it with the E-PL1 and it was waaay too slow - just about impossible indoors even in good available light.

One more question......how is the OVF? Is it big and bright enough? IOW - Is it possible to work with just the OVF and TURN OFF the live view?

And what exactly does CDAF mean - and how do you know if a lens is CDAF compatable?

Another reason for me to consider Olympus: I've always had a slight camera shake (handshake) problem that almost never shows up on images, but because I'm getting older, I think the IBIS would be preferable for me so I won't have to invest in IS lenses down the line.

There are some excellent deals on the E-620 right now and the stock is getting low, so I thought I'd come here to get some help.

A new local superstore just moved in and they are out of stock on the camera, but I'm going to check out their display model this morning so if I decide to get it, I'll know what it feels like.

I'd really appreciate any comments, advice, input, etc. especially from anyone who has used the E-620.

Thanks folks!

Liz

Re: E-PL1 + E-620 - worth it?

Hi Liz. I just got the e-620 and I understand what you mean about noise. At 1600 iso the noise is a little to much for some. For me I don't mind shooting all the way up to 3200 iso, it makes for some really nice film looking grain when you convert the image later to B&W. When useing the optical view finder, the Af hunts quite a bit in continues auto focus. "Still Af " works much better in low light but still hunts, however this may be due to my kit lens and not the body, not sure on this part, but the Auto focus should be faster if useing a faster lens because it lets more light in to the system.

"And what exactly does CDAF mean - and how do you know if a lens is CDAF compatable?"

I did a google search and someone said that it means you can move the green AF box anywhere you want in live view, Not sure how to know if which lenses are CDAF compatible.

"One more question......how is the OVF? Is it big and bright enough? IOW - Is it possible to work with just the OVF and TURN OFF the live view? "

I think the OVF is big enough to see everything in it clearly but manual focusing something with the OVF may be a challenge. I know there are some eye relief products out there that magnify the optical view finder so its easier to manual focus.

Hope this helps, good luck.
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

As you know Liz I just got the EP-1 which I am thrilled with, but with my big hands it is almost to small for me. But still I like using it. As far as the 620 I have hardly ever went over 400iso with my E3. I have went up to 800iso and had nice results. But with IS unless you are in really low light I don't see a high iso would be an issue. I think you could shoot most anything at 400 and lower if you get a fast lens.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by LightBright
    Hi Liz. I just got the e-620 and I understand what you mean about noise. At 1600 iso the noise is a little to much for some. For me I don't mind shooting all the way up to 3200 iso, it makes for some really nice film looking grain when you convert the image later to B&W. When useing the optical view finder, the Af hunts quite a bit in continues auto focus. "Still Af " works much better in low light but still hunts, however this may be due to my kit lens and not the body, not sure on this part, but the Auto focus should be faster if useing a faster lens because it lets more light in to the system.

"And what exactly does CDAF mean - and how do you know if a lens is CDAF compatable?"

I did a google search and someone said that it means you can move the green AF box anywhere you want in live view, Not sure how to know if which lenses are CDAF compatible.

"One more question......how is the OVF? Is it big and bright enough? IOW - Is it possible to work with just the OVF and TURN OFF the live view? "

I think the OVF is big enough to see everything in it clearly but manual focusing something with the OVF may be a challenge. I know there are some eye relief products out there that magnify the optical view finder so its easier to manual focus.

Hope this helps, good luck.
    Thank you for your comments. Actually I can live with noise at 1600 as long as there isn't a problem at 800.

Also, thanks for taking the time to google CDAF. I had googled it prior to posting here, but still couldn't find what I was looking for - you did much better than I did.

OVF - I went to a local camera store to check out the E-620 yesterday. The OVF isn't the biggest, but it is fine for me.

For some reason I thought this camera was much larger. I was pleasantly surprised to find how small and light it is. I was very happy with the "feel" which is important to me. It reminded me somewhat of my XTi - only IMO the E-620 feels better in my hands. I'm sold!

The only thing I didn't like is a nitpik I guess! It's the CF card. I would like to share cards with my E-PL1 and don't particularly like the size of the CF. Oh well, can't have everything - and as I said, this is a nitpik.

B&H has the E-620 for $454 (after lower price and $50 instant rebate). Also, I have a credit for $200 - so just have to put out $254. I just sold my LX3 on Amazon for $325 so can afford the camera. I also have 2 lenses 35mm macro and 40-150 that I can use with it.

So thank you for your thoughts and information. I appreciate it.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    As you know Liz I just got the EP-1 which I am thrilled with, but with my big hands it is almost to small for me. But still I like using it. As far as the 620 I have hardly ever went over 400iso with my E3. I have went up to 800iso and had nice results. But with IS unless you are in really low light I don't see a high iso would be an issue. I think you could shoot most anything at 400 and lower if you get a fast lens.
    Thanks for your comments, Greg, which I always appreciate. I'm hoping I can get 800 without too much noise!

I'm glad you're enjoying the E-P1. I hope it becomes more comfortable for you. Sometimes it takes a while and other times, a longer while. :-)

Liz

Liz

Update......as I mentioned in a post above "I'm sold" after trying out the E-620 in a local camera store. I was leaning toward the XSi for a long time as I'm always tempted to go back to Canon! But to be honest, I think the IBIS will be better for me in the long run since I have a slight camera shake that won't "improve" with age.

I went back to re-read the "old" thread in VF when I was trying to decide between the XSi and E-620. After re-reading all the information, advice and comments in that thread, I'm convinced the E-620 is the better choice for many reasons. I think I just needed more time to refresh my mind so I could think clearly and make the right decision.

Today I ordered the body-only from B&H for $454 to be delivered Wednesday.

Thanks everyone.....I really appreciate your input, advice, "patience" .... and your kind words both here and in the VF thread.

Liz

trigger happy geriatric.

Great Liz,

I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on the 620 once you've got a little more acquainted with it.

Dave

banished

Hi, I moved from an Alpha 700 system to an E620 system about 6 months ago for exactly the same reasons as yourself and have absolutely no regrets. The E620 is not quite as good as the Alpha 700 in most respects but is a very usable go anywhere machine that will satisfy all but the most critical. Regards

Quote Originally Posted by speedy5044
    Hi, I moved from an Alpha 700 system to an E620 system about 6 months ago for exactly the same reasons as yourself and have absolutely no regrets. The E620 is not quite as good as the Alpha 700 in most respects but is a very usable go anywhere machine that will satisfy all but the most critical. Regards
    I totally agree with your summation of the E-620. What you left out is how small and light the E-620 is. I have better cameras to use. But for mountain biking, skiing and hiking I love how small and light the E-620 is. I don't think there's another camera out there that can compete when you need real DSLR performance in a very small, light package.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I totally agree with your summation of the E-620. What you left out is how small and light the E-620 is. I have better cameras to use. But for mountain biking, skiing and hiking I love how small and light the E-620 is. I don't think there's another camera out there that can compete when you need real DSLR performance in a very small, light package.
    I really like the E-620. It feels so good in my hands.....similar to my Canon 400D which I really liked. I've tested it out a few times around the house, but have yet to take it out. It's been raining almost every weekend, and my week days have been filled up. However, we're supposed to have a beautiful weekend, so I'm making plans with the E-620 along with my new 50mm/f2......the lens I bought to go with it. I got the body only at B&H for a great deal which worked for me because I don't need another 14-42 lens even though the one I have for the E-PL1 won't fit the E-620. I also have the 40-150 which fits both.

Liz

Liz I would like your take on IQ between the 620 and the E-PL1. I read a lot of comments on noise levels at high ISO's with the 620.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Liz I would like your take on IQ between the 620 and the E-PL1. I read a lot of comments on noise levels at high ISO's with the 620.
    Yes, I had asked asked about the noise in the VF thread a while back, and I've also read about noise, mostly at levels above 800+ which wouldn't bother me too much. However, I read more about it after I purchased the camera unfortunately. I haven't had a chance to test it out, but if it's okay up to 800 I won't worry too much. I just hope it works well with the 50mm/f2 lens - or I'll be disappointed. I'll let you know - hopefully this weekend I'll have a chance to give it a good workout.

BTW, if I remember correctly, I think the E-P1/2/L all handle the noise better than the E-620. But, the 50mm really focused way too slow on the E-PL1. However, I haven't done the firmware upgrade yet. To be honest, I'm a bit afraid to attempt it since I don't do well technically - and with my luck, I'll do something to the camera.

Liz

Thread Information