E-P1 and Panasonic 45-200

Printable View

• 08-18-2009, 03:32 PM
    SmartWombat
    3 Attachment(s)
    E-P1 and Panasonic 45-200
    Manual focus gives best results, but the Olympus SAF is fairly good.
    Panasonic GH-1 can't focus on the pylons at all, not one shot in focus :(
    Wide angle shot is of course the 14-42 kit lens for comparison.
  • 08-18-2009, 03:36 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: E-P1 and Panasonic 45-200
    That's pretty scary that the GH1 doesn't focus well. I'd like to hear from some other GH1 owners. Have you considered that maybe you might have a bad camera? How much have you experimented with different focus modes?
  • 08-18-2009, 04:12 PM
    SmartWombat
    Re: E-P1 and Panasonic 45-200
    I have already exchanged the GH-1 body and the 45-200.
    I've tried single shot AF and manual focus, with MF being by far the best.

I hope I can shoot some example tripod shots before I go to the 24h race.
    Otherwise it'll be maybe after the Indy Lights race.
    Got to remove all the other reasons for unsharpness and poor AF first.

But from current experience, more than 25 yards away I prefer the E-P1 performance even though it's almost impossible to use.
    The two cameras are very different in design, and I like them for different reasons.

E-P1: quality, pocket size (did I mention I have large pockets?)
    So easy/simple to use Mrs W has stolen it, and a disabled friend picked it up and used it with no instructions or help at all. Great low noise.

GH-1: tilting screen and EVF more suited to action/nature, not a pocket camera at all.
    Still getting to grips with it, not quite SLR like enough and so different from the E-P1.

E-P1 will go everywhere with me. Perhaps with the 45-200 in a bag just in case.
    GH-1 will go out for "the road home" and nature shots (less bending down!) and perhaps some sports. And of course, the full HD video mode with audio input.