• 08-02-2009, 12:03 PM
    Nyreth
    For the E-P1 owners/users:
    Hey,
    I was wondering if any of you have tried to do much sports/action type photography, or really anything with faster moving subjects? I keep reading about the AF being pretty slow, and the comments range all the way from it being an enormous irritation to something that you can learn to adapt to. Any thoughts or observations?
    Thanks,
    Katherine
  • 08-02-2009, 02:51 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: For the E-P1 owners/users:
    Shooting sports is more in the lens than the camera. You have to have a high end lens for sports.
  • 08-02-2009, 04:30 PM
    Atomic2
    I shot American LeMans with my 40-150 3.5-4.5 and loved it. I had pretty good lighting however.
  • 08-02-2009, 04:36 PM
    rubeel
    irst of all u need great lens (mostly it can be $$$$) the 300mm 2.8 is expensive as well as the 90-250mm, but they cost more as they deliver more.

if you are planning to take pictures of weekend soccer camp for ur kids or so then u can do with the 70-300 standard lens, i think it is a great lens and i am sure many more here will also testify to that for using in daylight

I am hoping to head to Legg Mason this coming weekend to watch some tennis and try out the 70-300mm there during day not sure how the experiment will turn out at night, but lets see.
  • 08-02-2009, 05:43 PM
    SmartWombat
    I haven't tried it, but you're out of luck on the autofocus.
    According to the manual, there is no continuous SF with 4/3 lenses.
    Only with Micro 4/3 lenses.
    So until there is a special micro 4/3 sports lens, we're stuffed.

The salesman had a cranio-rectal insertion and waffled on about aperture limits and it wouldn't work beyond 400mm. But then he didn't understand the DoF issues either, or the fact that the C-AF wasn't working indoors because of the darkness of the shop and the low contrast.

I wouldn't say the EP-1 is really suitable for sports, I want an eye level viewfinder not holding the camera out at arms length. Even then I need glasses to get the screen in focus, and there is no way I can MF on a moving car.
    I will be trying at the next race I go to, just to see how the EP-1 performs.
    Provided I can get the OM lens adapter in time.
    Or someone has stock and delivers the 4/3 adapter and the Bigma 50-500 to go with it.

Most likely it's going to replace my G9 and LZ5 pocket cameras.
  • 08-02-2009, 09:41 PM
    Nyreth
    I kind of was afraid the answer would sound something like this. But at least it's not a big consideration for me. I had thought of possibly going out to the MX track and taking some shots. But I don't think it's something I would do very often.
    Thanks for the info everyone!
  • 08-03-2009, 01:40 AM
    SmartWombat
    You might find the Panasonic G1 or GH1 more suitable.
    I may end up with both, the EP-1 for my pocket, or my wife's use at the track chasing drivers.
    While I use the GH-1 when I want to travel light, on lenses as well as bodies.
  • 08-03-2009, 09:17 AM
    Photo-John
    Sports Technique
    I've shot some sports with the E-P1 and it wouldn't be my first - or second choice for an action camera. It's a great walkaround camera for photos where speed isn't a real requirement. But the AF is slow and shutter lag does become noticeable when you're trying to capture a fast moving subject. That said, with proper technique, I think you can get good action photos. In this case, proper technique means planning your shot and prefocusing. Spontaneous action photos won't work with the E-P1. But pre-focused photos will work fine as long as you have a lens that focuses accurately.

I've been playing with the Four Thirds 40-150mm zoom lens because it's so tiny. Unfortunately, auto focus performance is very poor with this lens and I missed a lot of photos at the track on Friday because it hunted while the action came and went. I'm not talking about shooting cars on the track, either. I didn't bother to try. The kit lens worked fine, though. I'm sorting a batch of Nascar pit photos taken with the E-P1. I should have them posted later today.
  • 08-03-2009, 01:38 PM
    Nyreth
    Are the shutter lag and AF issues something that could be fixed or at least improved by a firmware update later down the road? Do manufacturers even bother with that sort of thing?
    This is digressing a little bit but what can the E-620 do that the E-P1 can't? Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like the E-620 will be able to do action shots more easily and effectively, same with macro stuff, and be a bit better for a more serious photographer. However the E-P1 sounds a little more beginner friendly, more portable, has a bit better IQ at higher ISO's, but possibly is a bit more limited in its potential applications. Am I missing anything else (besides the flash and VF)?
    Thanks!