E-520 - How much longer?

Printable View

• 08-24-2009, 08:32 AM
    caw1975
    E-520 - How much longer?
    I've got my heart set on the E-520 but I know it's been out for a while. Does anyone know how long Olympus usually manufacture their models? I won't be able to get it for a couple of months. I want the kit with the 14-42 & 70-300. (Although from my calculations you only save a whopping $20 by getting the tele in the kit instead of seperately.) I really need the reach for shooting wildlife out on the lake.

It is out of stock on B&H, but Adorama has it at the same price. I realize there are other options, but this is in the right price range and has the features I want. I just worry that it will soon be replaced with a new more expensive model and I'll have to start my search all over again.

-------------------------
    Christa
  • 08-24-2009, 12:27 PM
    blackxfire
    Re: E-520 - How much longer?
    Buy the 70-300mm separately. You can find it alot cheaper from other online retailers. Stan
  • 08-24-2009, 06:18 PM
    Greg McCary
    I think you probably should be ok. The 520 is still on the Olympus web site.
  • 08-24-2009, 06:19 PM
    Don Kondra
    Not to worry, it'll be a while before it's replaced/updated and if you don't mind a lightly used model you should be able to get a deal from someone moving up to the E-620 or E-30.

As an example, I paid ~$600 for my new E-510 with a kit lens. Roughly a year later I purchased a used camera body with 117 clicks on it for $350.

I've also bought and sold a number of lenses to arrive at my current set up and you can pretty well count on paying 3/4's of new for a lightly used lens.

You may want to consider buying the body only, the kit lens regularly sell for less than $100 and I've seen three 70-300's lately for $300.

Your best bet for Oly specific "talk" is http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/

Cheers, Don
  • 08-25-2009, 12:36 AM
    Atomic2
    This man knows what hes talking about. Buy used.

not only that, buy an E-510. Sharper images, cheaper body, and you're not really losing any important features.
  • 08-25-2009, 07:39 AM
    caw1975
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Kondra
    You may want to consider buying the body only, the kit lens regularly sell for less than $100 and I've seen three 70-300's lately for $300.

Your best bet for Oly specific "talk" is http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/

Cheers, Don

You wrote this about the same time I was online buying the camera. It was sooner than I planned to buy it but I decided it was time to stop agonizing and just do it. Buying them separately would have saved me about $60 or so if I'd shopped around a little more. That seems like nothing once I added Lightroom, a new camera bag, a flash, etc, but still, the savings would have been nice. Christmas came early this year. Still wish I had read your reply before I did it, but it's done. Should be here by Friday.

EDIT: Thanks for the link too. Good stuff.
  • 08-25-2009, 12:53 PM
    Don Kondra
    Ah, theres' nothing like new gear :)

I apologize if I offended anyone by posting the link to a 4/3's forum. I've sold and bought equipment there and the items I've listed here have gotten no response.

Still, it may have been more appropriate to have PM'ed the link.

Cheers, Don