Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

E-520 Focus Area Questions

The E-520 has a three point focus system. My understanding of how it works is that you have an auto setting or you can set the camera to use any one of the three focus points independently.

I prefer to use the middle focal point alone. This is what's easiest for me. However, I have an annoying problem. Whenever I turn on my camera the default is auto. Is there any way to set the center point as the default?

While I'm asking, what setting do you like and why?

T-M

Re: E-520 Focus Area Questions

If you shoot in the AUTO mode any settings you change will revert to the factory defaults when you power up again. The AUTO Af Frame selection is a factory default. The P, A, S, and M modes retaqin any settings. Shoot in the P mode. It's almost the same as AUTO but better since it offers Program Shift.

Maybe something is wrong with my camera then. I almost never shoot in auto mode. I primarly use aperture priority, and sometimes shutter priority or fully manual.

I don't mind having auto focus as the default as I don't use manual focus very often. It's just the focus area that I want to stay on the center point.

trigger happy geriatric.

I have an E510, which I guess is the same. I select the central focus spot in the menu and it stays that way whenever I switch on and off. Generally, I work through the menu for every mode and select what I want for each.

Dave

Thats interesting... are you maybe letting your camera sit for a while and let the battery drain or anything? Because all the settings should stay after you shut off the camera.

So even if you are in aperture priority mode, and switch the focus points to just center... then turn the camera off and immediately turn it on, its back to auto?
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Thread Information