• 07-16-2009, 02:21 PM
    NC_Tom
    E 520 Aperture & Focusing Help
    I'm new to this forum as well to the E 520 , I've been playing with it for a few weeks, and reading as much as i can, how ever i'm struggling on understanding how aperture works. i do understand the basic and what it is, and how it operates, but using it and applying it is what i lack.

I'm trying to take a photo where i focus in on one object, like a flower, while not focusing on the background, can this be done with the basic kit lens, or do i need to purchase another lens? i have yet to be able to do this.

can someone point me into the right direction, any help would be great.

Thanks
    TOM
  • 07-16-2009, 02:27 PM
    SmartWombat
    Re: E 520 Aperture & Focusing Help
    Quote:

where i focus in on one object, like a flower, while not focusing on the background
    For that you need the widest aperture, the smallest f/ number.

How successful you are depends on how wide that aperture can be on your kit lens, and how long the focal length of that lens is, and how far away the flower is from the background, and how close you are to it the flower.
  • 07-16-2009, 03:00 PM
    NC_Tom
    Paul, Thanks for the quick response, i jumped outside to play around with it some more, i had the aperture at its widest,i think my problem was with focusing,
    another question, what determines the widest my aperture will go, like in the back yard, where it is shaded from the oh tree, and in a smaller area, alot of fence and such, the number seems to go lower, than if i'm in the front yard where it is open , sunny, and not cramped for space?

Heres a photo i just took out front, and this is what i was trying to accomplish, Thanks!
    Tom
    http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1432/practiceapt.jpg
  • 07-16-2009, 03:10 PM
    SmartWombat
    If you fix the shutter speed and change the aperture, then to get correct exposure you need a smaller aperture in bright light (larger f/ number) and a wider aperture in shadows (smaller f/ number).

You need to consider both aperture and shutter speed together when you're trying for a particular effect and getting the exposure right.
  • 07-16-2009, 03:15 PM
    NC_Tom
    I will play and experiment with shutter speeds next, i was previously using the A mode on the camera.
    THanks for your Help

Tom
  • 07-16-2009, 03:24 PM
    SmartWombat
    Real control comes in "M" mode where you control both shutter speed and aperture.
    It puts all the responsibility of getting the exposure right (or wrong) in your hands.