Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
    Liz

Olympus E-P1 - Photo John question...

John,

I just received my EP-1 - but due to the fact that I'm working I don't have time to check it out, but will do that later. However, I did a lot of research and I'm wondering if you could explain something that is a little confusing.

I've read that many lenses can be used with the EP-1 and an adaptor, including Canon FD lenses and various brands of autofocus and (legacy) manual lenses. I've read that some of these lenses are quite sharp - and fast - and some like the FD's are quite cheap!

I have the 14-42 kit lens and if I like the EP-1, I was considering the 17.2.8. However, I would be interested to know how to figure out which other lenses work - both auto and manual so I can more intelligently choose a nice sharp - and fast - lens with good bokeh, etc. for portraits and such

Any information and/or input would help - or where can I find a list of lenses that I can use? I believe the Olympus and Panasonic adaptors work with this camera.

Thanks!

Liz

Re: Olympus E-P1 - Photo John question...

Liz-
    I don't know all of the adapters are available. But due to the popularity of the E-P1, I'm sure there will be adapters for almost everything. The obvious adapter allows the E-P1 to use Four Thirds lenses. I have that adapter and it works great. There are also Micro Four Thirds adapters for Leica M rangefinder lenses. People have been using them for a while with the Panasonic G1. Olympus is also supposed to have an OM adapter for their old manual focus lenses. I'm not sure about Canon adapters, although I'm sure they'll be available, if they aren't already. I wouldn't expect auto focus to work with any non-Four Thirds lenses, though.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Check on eBay. Theres adapters for just about every format already from third party Chinese manufacturer's. I just ordered an M42 to regular4/3 adapter the other day for 11 dollars shipped.

The only lens format that would retain electronic control [autofocus, aperture control] is the four-thirds format. Any other format will become manual focus only, and manual aperture control only.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic2
    Check on eBay. Theres adapters for just about every format already from third party Chinese manufacturer's. I just ordered an M42 to regular4/3 adapter the other day for 11 dollars shipped.

The only lens format that would retain electronic control [autofocus, aperture control] is the four-thirds format. Any other format will become manual focus only, and manual aperture control only.
    Thanks! I added a footnote to my original post - as I'm inquiring about which lenses will work with the E-P1. I know the Olympus and Panasonic adaptors will both work with the camera - and almost any lens that works with the 4/3 systems. I just need to find a list of the lenses that are compatable.

I'm interested in autofocus first - but I'm also interested in the FD manual lenses as I've seen some awesome shots done with the E-P1 and an FD lens attached. The images are sharper than the kit lenses and a fraction of the price. I don't mind giving manual a shot in order to get a sharp pic.

For example - this lens works with the E-P1 and just about any adaptor.

http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e50_14.html

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Liz-
    I don't know all of the adapters are available. But due to the popularity of the E-P1, I'm sure there will be adapters for almost everything. The obvious adapter allows the E-P1 to use Four Thirds lenses. I have that adapter and it works great. There are also Micro Four Thirds adapters for Leica M rangefinder lenses. People have been using them for a while with the Panasonic G1. Olympus is also supposed to have an OM adapter for their old manual focus lenses. I'm not sure about Canon adapters, although I'm sure they'll be available, if they aren't already. I wouldn't expect auto focus to work with any non-Four Thirds lenses, though.
    John,

I was told the Olympus and Panasonic adaptor (and other brands) will work with most lenses - they work with the Canon FD lenses. They also work with auto lenses as long as they are CDAF.

I'm looking for a list of lenses now.......

Liz

Liz

I found a "partial" list of compatable lenses on the Panasonic Forum.

This is not a complete list - but includes different lenses that are (basically) compatable with the 4/3 systems.........and they will work with the Panasonic and Olympus adaptors. Anything compatable with the 4/3 system will also work withe the micro 4/3 systems. See, I've done my homework!

I don't think it includes the FD lenses - but they are compatable as I've seen a photo or two taken with the E-P1 and an FD lens. I wish I could find the website.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...onnect/g1.html

ETA: More and varied lists:

Olympus lenses specifically for 4/3 (will work with micro 4/3)
    http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/lense.html

Here you can do a "matching simulation of a 4/3 camera and lens" and find out if they are compatable - note: these are only 4/3 cameras and compatable lenses.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/produc...ing/index.html

Liz

Remember that those old, beautiful lenses are heavy. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Remember that those old, beautiful lenses are heavy. - TF
    Yes - I'm aware of that. However, there are a few lenses included in these lists that are quite small and a bit lighter!

Thanks! I have to watch the weight - that's why I bought the E-P1. However, I thought others might be interested in using some of these old legacy lenses - before the dealers catch on - and raise the prices - and I bet they will!

Liz

If you use the MMF-1 Olympus adapter then any 4/3rd lens will work and AF as long as the lens is contrast AF. If weight is an issue and you don't mind shooting a fixed focal length I would be looking at the 25mm pancake lens.
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...4&page=support
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    If you use the MMF-1 Olympus adapter then any 4/3rd lens will work and AF as long as the lens is contrast AF. If weight is an issue and you don't mind shooting a fixed focal length I would be looking at the 25mm pancake lens.
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...4&page=support
    Greg - thanks!

GREAT! This is the lens I was looking at - seriously. Although I haven't tried the E-P1 yet (it's sitting on my file cabinet until tomorrow when I'm awake), I'm assuming I will like it. I've really done a lot of research and like what I've read - and the samples I've viewed. I got the only kit available the 14-35 which is a bit slow, but the images I've seen are fine.

I'm so glad you're familiar with the 4/3rd system!

And let me tell you just how AWESOME it is to see you here posting - just like always! :thumbsup:

Liz

please post some samples once u use the EP-1

Thread Information