Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Zuiko 12-60mm v. 14-54mm

i'd like to get some opinions about this.

i've been avoiding upgrading my workhorse lens for a couple reasons (the results from my kit lens are acceptable and sometimes even surprise me quality-wise, and i've been rounding out my glass collection with other lenses i was certain i wanted).

but now i'm kind of torn between the 12-60 and 14-54.

i know differences are small relative to the price difference, but i'd like to see what people think about (objectively and subjectively) the two lens stacked up against each other.

i'm well aware of the price differential, and that the 14-54 is likely more bang for the buck. but although price is still an issue, it's not that big of an issue to me right now, which is why i'm torn.

little help?

Re: Zuiko 12-60mm v. 14-54mm

Nice dilemma to have. Speaking as a 14-54mm owner, I know stepping up from the kit was definitely worth it with the speed, better construction, better in low light, etc. Never using the 12-60mm I can only assume there's a reason for 2x the price of the 14-54. Some reviews I've read say it's worth it. If money was less of an issue with me I would go with the 12-60mm.

But if you get the 14-54mm first and change your mind, you can always sell it on eBay. The market is really good for the seller; you can almost get your money back if you get a good deal to start with.
    Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
    Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6

I agree that the 14-54 is an awesome lens and a nice upgrade from the kit. The 12-60mm is the fastest focusing lens but only when combined with the new focusing system on the new E3. Unless you have the E3 the 14-54mm would be my choice. I can't complain about the quality of the 14-54mm. It focuses VERY fast and is a heavy duty durable lens also if I miss focus it's the operators fault.LOL
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I agree that the 14-54 is an awesome lens and a nice upgrade from the kit. The 12-60mm is the fastest focusing lens but only when combined with the new focusing system on the new E3. Unless you have the E3 the 14-54mm would be my choice. I can't complain about the quality of the 14-54mm. It focuses VERY fast and is a heavy duty durable lens also if I miss focus it's the operators fault.LOL
    Yeah, i was aware that the focusing speed benefits of 12-60 only become very apparent on the E3. I do plan on upgrading to an E3, or its successor, at some point in the future though...

Anyway, focusing speed is not a huge concern - I'm more concerned with image quality and making a sound investment for the future, that is, is there a reason that I might myself wanting the 12-60 anytime soon after acquiring the 14-54?

Leaning towards 14-54 for now, but just by a hair.

If you are sure on the E3 then the 12-60mm would be my choice. It would make a sweet combo.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Well, I ended up going with the 12-60.

I lurked around other forums, read a lot of review on both lenses, and shopped around a bit, then finally bit the bullet. The 14-54 looked like the smart buy. The swing factors were the fact that I will be upgrading my camera to an E3 in the foreseeable future, and I since it will be on whatever camera I have for the majority of my photos, and so I might as well splurge a bit in that aspect.

Congrats on the lens. Please come back and share your thoughts, write a review and share a few pictures. I am sure you will be thrilled. I hope to be upgrading to the E3 sometimes this summer, I hope.......

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information