Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

new, looking for telephoto/zoom for lower light

Hi. I have a new e420 and I'm looking to add a telephoto/zoom lens for some indoor arena shots. My daughter is in gymnastics and i've found difficulty in getting close to her competition area, so need a zoom that can handle the lower light of the arena, but also not slow me up with continuous shooting.
    I use a tripod and pan as I shoot, so that should help a little with the shake.

Suggestions? I've been attracted to the price point of the sigma 55-200 f/4-5.6 and need to stay around the < $400 range.

Re: new, looking for telephoto/zoom for lower light

Well the F/4-5.6 wont be any better in lower light than the kit 40-150 F/4-5.6

Try the older 40-150 3.5-4.5 if you're on a budget. You can pick one up used for about $120.
    http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...&GBC=&GCC=&KW=
    bottom of the page theres one in EX condition for $110

I've had both the 40-150 lenses, and decided on keeping the older model [3.5-4.5] because of its faster aperature. The only downside is the its quite a bit larger [well actually the newer one is just ridiculously small] and focuses a tiny bit slower, but not much.

Though if you REALLY want the low light performance, you're going to need to go for the 50-200 2.8-3.5, a used one of the earlier non-SWD version will go for about 600 on eBay.
    Another option is the Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM, which is what I'm getting as soon as I sell my extra lenses, which sells for about $720 new [used to be 700 but that ship has sailed] and ive never seen it sold used anywhere
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Thread Information