Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Smile E-410 with Zuiko ED 70-300mm

Hi everyone! This is my first post in this forum. I own E-410 with kit lens 14-42mm and 40-150mm. I am looking to add to my gear ED 70-300mm. I have read some useful reviews on this lens in this forum. Nevertheless, my specific query is, how does this lens stack up with E-410? I gather ED 70-300 is better suited to cameras with image stabilization feature.

Once again greetings to all Olympus users.

Re: E-410 with Zuiko ED 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by arunp
    I gather ED 70-300 is better suited to cameras with image stabilization feature.
    Welcome to PhotogrphyREVIEW.com, arunp! Always nice to have another Olympus user here

You have a good point full frame focal length, it's next to impossible to hold that lens steady in all but the best light. So if you plan to use it without a tripod, you're going to find you need to use very high shutter speeds to get sharp photos. On the other hand, using a tripod will make a big difference. Unfortunately, the 70-300 doesn't have a tripod collar, so even on a tripod it's not as stable as I'd like it to be. I do think it will work for you, though. And it's one of my favorite things about the Olympus Four Thirds System cameras. I've taken tons of great ski and mountain bike photos with that lens. Here's are some photos taken by our members with the Olympus 70-300mm lens:

Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm Zoom Lens Gallery >>

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions. There are a whole bunch of us here that use that lens, too. So there's plenty of knowledge - and opinions
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: E-410 with Zuiko ED 70-300mm

Thanks John. Your reply has been useful to me. In fact now I am alraedy owning 70-300mm lens.

Here's one of my first pics with this lens.

http://myolympus.org/document.php?id=15999

And yes....the tripod I used with the kit lens - Vivitar 2400 seems a bit unstable with 70-300. I am inviting suggestions on this aspect from forum members.

Cheers!

Arun

Thread Information