Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

E-1 Successor Wishlist

What's the missing features on E-1 those have to add in new body ? Please share your opinion...

Excellent Post!

This is a great subject. Thanks for posting it, zuikoku.

I think the main thing is a sensor with competitive resolution. I thought the E-1 was a great camera to begin with. But from the start, it lagged behind other digital SLRs in resolution. I think it should be a minimum of 10-megapixels, with image quality comparable to 10-megapixel cameras from Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Pentax.

Speed is also a consideration. I'd like to see the replacement able to capture at least 6 frames-per-second. That's double with the E-1 will do and a little better than mid-range cameras from Canon and Nikon, which will capture 5 fps. The buffer should be large, too. The camera should be able to capture at least 10 RAW images before it has to start saving to the memory card. For news or sports photographers who sometimes need to hold down the shutter release, this is critical.

A 2.5-inch LCD would also be nice. And like resolution, it's pretty much a requirement to be competitive now. Since the E500 has a 2.5-inch LCD I expect that's a given. I'd also like to see camera settings displayed on the LCD like Canon and Sony have done with their recent digital SLRs. That's not something I'd ever considered before I saw it. But after using the Sony A100 and Digital Rebel XTi, I don't want to live without that feature.

Built-in, sensor-level image stabilization would be nice. However, I think that's more of a consumer feature as long lenses likely require their own image stabilization to be truly effective. So I'm not sure if it belongs in a the next Olympus pro body.

I don't think I care about the Live View LCD. I think it's cool and when I'm doing tabletop product photography, it would be nice for my back. But I see it as more of a neato feature than one I'd actually buy a camera for.

Some of these features have already been used in the E500 and E400. So I don't think they're too much to expect. None of them are huge requests. I am curious to see what new and creative things that Olympus comes up with to lure photographers. The bottom line for me is, Olympus just needs to catch up their pro body. It doesn't have to be revolutionary. The Four Thirds System with its compact, powerful lenses is already enough, I think. But the basic performance of the next pro body needs to be competitive with what Nikon and Canon are offering.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: E-1 Successor Wishlist

I think it should be a minimum of 10-megapixels, with image quality comparable to 10-megapixel cameras from Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Pentax.
    With such a small sensor size you're asking a lot of those 10 million smaller pixels !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I Don't Know

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    With such a small sensor size you're asking a lot of those 10 million smaller pixels !
    While it's true that bigger pixels are better, I don't think a 10-megapixel Four Thirds sensor with good image quality is unreasonable. Sensor technology is currently being driven by camera phones, which have tiny little sensors. That's where the money is, so a lot of R&D is going into improving the image quality of tiny pixels. If I felt more energetic right now, maybe I'd research the dimensions of the Nikon D2X pixel to see how it would compare to a pixel on a 10-megapixel Four Thirds sensor. In any case, I think we should be able to have the detail a 10-megapixel sensor and still have competitive noise and other image quality characteristics.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Faster shutter speed in burst mode ... better noise reduction in lower light settings ... 8 MP would be nice... 10 would be better.

Then I could put my E500 into back up status =)
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

I just wish they'd come out with it and quit stringing us along. I've been shooting E1s for a while now and they're a little long in the tooth compared to Nikon or Canon bodies. I don't buy into the megapixel myth, I can produce outstanding prints with my cameras, but I would like to see the technology updated. I just hope my HLD-2s will work with the new body, but, I doubt it.

I'd like it to be compact with a built in portrait grip. The E-1 is not a huge camera, but it isn't really "compact" either, being comparable to a Nikon D100 or Canon 10D. I for one am tired of bulky equipment, light and fast is my motto now.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information