• 11-02-2007, 05:07 AM
    DANNAIR
    Digital Body That Accepts Om1 Lenses?
    Old dog needs to learn new tricks! I've been the proud owner of an OM1 for many many years :) . I'm becoming an active Ebay'r with the need for DIGITAL photography! I've been trying to find out if Olympus ever made a digital body that accepted the OM lenses (I have several). If they did what model(s) was it and is it something worth considering for taking decent quality photos to be posted on the internet? I'd hate to give up the flexibility an SLR offers. I'm open to thoughts and suggestions. Thanks for any and all input Dan
  • 11-02-2007, 09:39 AM
    Photo-John
    Re: Digital Body That Accepts Om1 Lenses?
    Sorry Dan. There is no such camera. Olympus took a very different approach to digital SLRs and developed a completely new system to take advantage of the benefits of digital technology. When they decided to make a digital SLR they completely let go of the OM system. I think I have seen some of the Olympus E-System owners mention adapters for OM lenses, though. However, if you're really ready for digital I think it's time for you to consider buying a whole new system. The OM stuff is wonderful. I always loved it. But current digital SLRs blow away older film SLRs in almost every way. If you want digital, jump in all the way.
  • 11-02-2007, 01:05 PM
    Greg McCary
    Dan, Also since the release of the E3 many photogs have been waiting patiently for a new pro body. The price of a 510 and 500 have fallen quite a bit. You can get a DSLR cheap now compared to a year ago.
  • 11-03-2007, 03:50 AM
    DANNAIR
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm a bit disappointed that the replacement digitals for the OM series were not designed to accept the OM lense system, but I suppose that's "progress" :( . So now I'll need to look at alternatives, the 500/510 series may be the answer. Any pitfalls to avoid with this series especially if I decide to go used? Any good Olympus non SLR's worth considering? Non Olympus suggestions :confused: Many Thanks Dan
  • 11-03-2007, 06:01 AM
    Greg McCary
    If it were me I certainly would be looking hard at the 510. Right now there are quiet a few used ones to be found since the E3 Pro Body is due out this month. I am very impressed with the IS on my 510. The 510 also seems to be a petty rugged camera compared to some of the other bodies I have seen. Some 510 users have been waiting a long tome for a new pro body and are selling their 510's to get the E3. Strike when it's a buyers market.
  • 11-03-2007, 06:34 AM
    Jaedon
    The 510 is significantly superior to the 500. I still use both but the 500 has be relegated almost 100% now to back up duties and wide angle lens holder lol.

The IS is excellent allowing slower shutter speeds on higher zoom lenses than would normally be recommended to be shot hand held. It also improves the image quality at lower lighting. The body is much more rugged than the 500. The sensor upgrades are excellent and also has improved the low light noise levels. I know a few people waiting on the E3 that have played with both of my camera bodies and they have all preferred the 510 over the 500.

The adapters do work well and if you don't mind losing your AF they do still produce a quality image. I use an adapter on my old Pentax 200 MM f2.8 with a macro tube to get some seriously nice images.