• 12-01-2009, 01:20 AM
    JimB
    Difficulty finding Panasonic products
    Hi

Like I promised I looked into the "micro 4/3rds cameras" and it seems like here in the Washington D C, Baltimore area none of the camera stores(15) has any on hand and 2 major chain stores the managers refuses to carry any Panasonic photography products and the department manager of one said "Panasonic should stick to T.V.s and audio equipment and stay out of areas where they have no pior expirience "(Best-Buys). At a reputable camera store (Penn Cameras) they said after I explained what I wanted and why, that I would be better off with either a Canon G-11 or a Nikon P80 or P90.

But after reading all the reports and evaluations of the GF1,G1,GH1,and the Olympus E-P1I am really interested in something like what Panasonic has in their "G1"or the "GF1"but I would like to handle one before I decide to buy or not.

I am leaning to the G1 because it has a view finder that I am use to. I tried the "live view" on my D90 and I had difficulty in composing and following the subjects of my shots and the glare on the view screen from the sun was always a problem and using a view finder for 35 years I find the live view difficult to hold steady and follow the wild life or the Re-enactors from one action shot to the next.

MY question is since I can not examine the camera before buying is the G1 a good choice, anything chronic problems or design problems? Any thing about the camera that would make the GF1with a EVF a better choice?

Sorry for being long winded

Jim
  • 12-01-2009, 03:24 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Difficulty finding Panasonic products
    Jim I am basically in the same boat as you. I have no place to see a M4/3rd camera unless I drive to Atlanta and test one. But with that said I think I would be more inclined to get one with IS. I also would like a VF though. But since I have been using the live view on the E3 my out of camera shots have become much better with level horizons and such.
  • 12-01-2009, 04:27 PM
    Liz
    Wow! That makes it difficult to take the plunge.

However, there is one other alternative which I've done in similar situations on rare occasions. You can order one from places like B&H and Amazon who both have good return policies as long as the camera is returned with everything in the box and in the same condition you got it. I've never had a problem returning a camera to either store (no restocking fees). B&H return policy: you have to call within 14 days for authorization - and ship it out shortly after you call. Amazon return policy is more liberal - 30 days. You would have to pay the return shipping which isn't much if you send it ground. Also, you don't have to pay tax at B&H unless you live in NY - or Amazon as long as you don't live in the state they are located (check with them).

I have the EP1 and absolutely love it. IMO it's worth going this route.

Liz
  • 12-01-2009, 11:40 PM
    Atomic2
    Well if you live in an urban area, try asking around forums if theres anyone with the camera around where you live who would let you have brief a go with it.
  • 12-02-2009, 12:27 AM
    SmartWombat
    Fly on over here if you want to see the GH-1 or E-P1 micro 4/3 :)
  • 12-04-2009, 07:08 AM
    rubeel
    JimB,
    I live in Dulles area and last time i was at Ace Photo in Ashburn he had EP1 in stock, it would be worthwhile to check with the store if they have the panasonic in stock yet as last time he had mentioned that it was very hard to get hold of GF.

the store's website is acephoto.net