Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

OM to Four Thirds mount

I did some horse trading with some old equipment I never used and wound up with an off brand 300mm OM lens to play with. I bought one of those cheap adaptors on e-bay and took a couple of test shots today. Since it was a 300mm it is a 600mm equivalent on the 510. The meter was dead on and the IS worked flawlessly. I have a 50mm on the way and should be shooting test shots once I get it. But see. It can be done with some rather nice results. Now that I know how well it works. I may swing for a better quality OM lens to use. Considering this was 600mm hand held, I am impressed. Now to Plainville Ga and look for some Buffalo. There are some on a farm there that I could never get close enough to before.LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OM to Four Thirds mount-om2.jpg  
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: OM to Four Thirds mount

Good job and thanks for trying it out for us. IS worked or you are very steady. You are giving me ideas like get a nikon adaptor and get their drastically cheaper 70-300mm lens.
    Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
    Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by metallicblack
    Good job and thanks for trying it out for us. IS worked or you are very steady. You are giving me ideas like get a nikon adaptor and get their drastically cheaper 70-300mm lens.
    id miss autofocus way too much, and the glass is better on the Zuiko. after you spend all that money, you'd be really close to the zuiko's 70-300 price anyway, just do that
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic2
    id miss autofocus way too much, and the glass is better on the Zuiko. after you spend all that money, you'd be really close to the zuiko's 70-300 price anyway, just do that
    I would miss autofocus as well so I probably wouldn't do it. But I haven't been convinced the Zuiko's not just a rebadged Sigma. However, Sigma for Nikon $140 + $25 adaptor = $165 vs. $380 Zuiko.
    Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
    Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by metallicblack

No I was not very steady. The lens was quite heavy. The IS really worked well. You have to select what mm you are using when you turn the IS on but I was very impressed with the results. I am sure a better quality lens would work great. I am thinging of getting an OM fisheye. I also have an Leica M6 so shooting MF doesn't bother me to much.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I'd love to see some photos when you put it on a tripod. The duck is terribly soft, but hard to tell if that's from the lens being poor or from shake. I'm currently considering picking up a few old lenses on eBay (cheap) and the $20 adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampNut
    I'd love to see some photos when you put it on a tripod. The duck is terribly soft, but hard to tell if that's from the lens being poor or from shake. I'm currently considering picking up a few old lenses on eBay (cheap) and the $20 adapter.
    As soon as I get a chance I will do that. The lens I used is dusty and scratched. But once I get the 50mm I will post some pictures with it as well. I may try some moon pictures or something. Keep checking back. I have been working a lot of over time here lately.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information