Can someone explain.....

Printable View

• 09-22-2008, 06:10 AM
    Robusto
    Can someone explain.....
    if there is much difference between the Old Zuiko digital 40-150mm and the new one

I have the old one that i got with my E300 and i have seen the new ones for sale at around the £90 price in the UK

is it worth spending the £90 and buying the new one if so what improvment should i see.

Also bear in mind i have the Zuiko 70-300mm on its way already.

Your help is appreciated

Martyn
  • 09-22-2008, 07:10 AM
    erikzen
    Re: Can someone explain.....
    I'm not an expert and only have the new one but I think the major difference is the aperture. The old one is f/3.5-4.5 and the new one is f/4.0-5.6. I don't think it's worth upgrading but have not had a chance to use both. Personally, would prefer the wider aperture.
  • 09-22-2008, 12:39 PM
    Greg McCary
    If I am not mistaken the newer one has a plastic mount and the older one metal. I agree if you already have a 40-150mm I think I would stick with it.
  • 09-22-2008, 04:21 PM
    xwingkiller
    most consider the older one the better of the two. when i got my e-510 i purposely bought the one lens kit and got the older 40-150 off of ebay.
    the thing thats great about the new one though is that it's super small.
  • 09-22-2008, 10:45 PM
    Atomic2
    I've had both, and kept the older one. the newer one is MUCH smaller and MUCH lighter, so its very convenient. Also it seemed to focus a bit faster.

Personally I didnt mind the size and weight of the older one, and sacrificing the speed of focus a bit for the larger aperature.