Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

First shots with the E-520

I bought the E-520 last week to replace my damaged E-510. So far I don't see too much difference between the two. According to what I've read the main difference between the two cameras is the improvements to the Live View. It adds a new contrast based auto focus system to the Live View and sports a larger LCD. Otherwise, the camera seems identical to the E-510. I've read that the dynamic range and image quality is improved with the sensor on the E-520 but it's too early for me to tell.

As far as the feel of the camera goes, it is very similar. While I think the weight difference between the E-510 and E-520 is minimal, I can feel the difference, or at least I think I do.

I have not had a lot of time to shoot with the camera yet, but I did bring it to the baseball game yesterday along with the 70-300mm lens. This is not the easiest lens to use nor is it the best quality glass I own so it's hard to make a judgement. So far, it seems like the images are bit over-saturated. I'd say the images also seem a bit soft but again that is probably my difficulty in using the lens at the long end.

Here's a shot of Derek Jeter hitting a home run, tying him with Lou Gehrig for the all time hit record at Yankee Stadium:
    Picture 038

Going a bit longer the image seems to get a little soft:
    P9144236

Taking it all the way out to 300mm:
    P9144244

I won't really have a good feel for the camera until I spend some time with the 50mm macro and the kit lenses, as I know the quality of the Macro is very good and the kit lenses are much easier to handle.

Liz

Re: First shots with the E-520

These shots look pretty good to me considering you had some challenging conditions. Most zooms exhibit a bit of softness at the longer end. It looks like you had some bright sun with shadows and contrast to deal with also. As you said, continue shooting in different situations, trying out the other lenses as well. I would suggest posting these shots in the Critique forum as you will get more input and comments.

Liz

What software are you using to process the images? Did you shoot RAW or JPEG?

The Derek Jeter photo is a big score. Congratulations on that one.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The images look great. You should see an improvement in low light and higher ISO's
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    What software are you using to process the images? Did you shoot RAW or JPEG?

The Derek Jeter photo is a big score. Congratulations on that one.
    I usually use Photoshop CS2, but I have Elements 2.0 that I use sometimes for a quick fix. I've used the online software in Flickr from time to time if I just want to do a quick crop or auto color correct.

I usually shoot JPEGs. I haven't really started experimenting with RAW files yet, but
    I did shoot some RAW files at the ballpark as well, but none of the ones here.

Actually, all three of these files have not had any processing. This is straight out of the camera.

Here is my first attempt at developing a RAW image. I used the Olympus Master software that came with the camera. This image is at 300mm.

Jeter Tossing Sweatbands

Looks Ok

I recommend you really get into RAW. Everyone. You're missing out if you don't. The first images you posted have a ton of potential, but what you're seeing is the Olympus JPEG processing. There's so much more to be had. The exposures are all just fine. But you can fine-tune the color and adjust the contrast so much more with RAW.

I am not a fan of the Olympus software, although it gets the job done. I had to use with the E-520 until Lightroom 2 came out. I did a couple of comparisons and don't really see any obvious quality differences between the Olympus and Lightroom RAW conversions. But I sure do enjoy using Lightroom more. And I think the Lightroom experience makes me feel better about my photos. That's a weird thing to consider. But I feel like my Lightroom conversions are better, even if I can't identify any differences.

Keep playing with the RAW files. There's a learning curve. But it's worth it. After a while you'll wonder why you ever shot JPEGs.
    Photo-John

I agree with John. I shoot RAW 90% of the time. Olympus Master 2 get's the job done but Lightroom is awesome software. I think you can download a free trail. CS2 should do anything else you need.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Lightroom Trial

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I agree with John. I shoot RAW 90% of the time. Olympus Master 2 get's the job done but Lightroom is awesome software. I think you can download a free trail. CS2 should do anything else you need.
    Don't download the trial unless you're willing to cough up the money for the software. Because it's that good. Once you get used to it, you will not want to live without it. So if you're not willing to pay, better to just not know what you're missing.
    Photo-John

Re: Lightroom Trial

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Don't download the trial unless you're willing to cough up the money for the software. Because it's that good. Once you get used to it, you will not want to live without it. So if you're not willing to pay, better to just not know what you're missing.
    Yes, I was looking at the cost for Lightroom 2 and $300 is a lot of money for software as an amateur photographer. I'm thinking I'd rather put that money towards equipment and suffer through using the Olympus software, especially if I don't know what I'm missing. Definitely something to consider.

Is there any alternative to Lightroom other than Olympus Master?

Thread Information