Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Thread: Buy Now or Wait

Buy Now or Wait

I am going to buy my first DSLR soon, (have been using a Canon Pro1 for a few years) and I have decided on buying into the Oly system. My thought is to buy an e-500 kit on e-bay direct from Olympus or one of the other reputable sellers for the going rate of about $500, then pick up the new 70-300 lens when available.

My question is, would you buy now, or do you think that there may be price drops for the remaining 500 kits or possibly even for a 410 or 510 kit before the end of the year.

Thanks

Re: Buy Now or Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton
    I am going to buy my first DSLR soon, (have been using a Canon Pro1 for a few years) and I have decided on buying into the Oly system. My thought is to buy an e-500 kit on e-bay direct from Olympus or one of the other reputable sellers for the going rate of about $500, then pick up the new 70-300 lens when available.

My question is, would you buy now, or do you think that there may be price drops for the remaining 500 kits or possibly even for a 410 or 510 kit before the end of the year.

Thanks
    Certainly the longer you wait the more the price will drop. As newer models come out everyone upgrades to the newer camera. I am not sure though with the release of the E3. It's a fairly high end camera. I have seen the 500 as low as $450.00 for a one lens kit. Also the 500 is a very good entry level camera that is easy to learn on. It was my first DSLR. to answer your question, I would get a DSLR as fast as I could. I have really enjoyed not having to worry with wasting film or developing cost.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Certainly the longer you wait the more the price will drop. As newer models come out everyone upgrades to the newer camera. I am not sure though with the release of the E3. It's a fairly high end camera. I have seen the 500 as low as $450.00 for a one lens kit. Also the 500 is a very good entry level camera that is easy to learn on. It was my first DSLR. to answer your question, I would get a DSLR as fast as I could. I have really enjoyed not having to worry with wasting film or developing cost.

Thanks, I think I'm going to get the E-500. The prices seem to have bottomed out, and with the two lens kit, I can't think of any brand/system that provides comparable value now. Also, there is a very sensible upgrade path, as I envision perhaps getting an E3 in a year or two when prices have moderated somewhat.

Just to clarify, I've been using digital for a few years, just not an SLR. The Pro1 I have is an "SLR-like" or prosumer model.

Good luck with your shopping Arch. I have been very happy with the Four Thirds System. Please come back and share a few pictures.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Arch,

Due to circumstance, I am looking at selling my E-500 and related equipment. If you haven't already made a purchase let me know and we can talk. Feel free to drop me an email at garthur@carolina.rr.com.

Greg

Thread Information