Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

anyone using 18-180mm f/3.5-6.3 ED

i am thinking about replacing my kit lens with this one, anyone done that or have any comments.

Re: anyone using 18-180mm f/3.5-6.3 ED

I have used it and so far it's my least favorite Olympus lens. I'd have to play with it again to remember exactly why. But I remember sharpness issues. It also gives up quite a bit on the wide end. On the other hand, I don't have any complaints about the kit lens. I think it's pretty good - especially if you already have it. Take a look at the 40-150mm lens thread I started yesterday. I think that would be a better way to go.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

18-180 is too slow, not wide enough, not sharp enough, and ultimately not necessary.

Honestly, as much as having a 10x zoom seems awesome, I personally never really need more zoom than 60mm. A much better investment would in that case be a 14-54mm which is not only faster, but also has more telephoto than your kit lens. And is sharper. A used one can be about the same as 18-180 I think...
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Subjects?

I was thinking about your decision and noted that you didn't say what you're shooting. That would make difference in how you should spend your money. If you really want more reach, I stand by my first recommendation. If you want better quality, take a look at the 12-60mm lens. It will cost you, but the range is very useful and it's a really wonderful lens.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

well i was trying to avoid carrying my both kit lens, i know the 40-150 is awesome, i used that one quite a few times but i was thinking of shedding my kit lens and just have the 18-180mm with me all the time, i carry my camera every where and that was the motivation, the 12-60mm is something i want but before that i want to get a E3

Quote Originally Posted by rubeel
    well i was trying to avoid carrying my both kit lens, i know the 40-150 is awesome, i used that one quite a few times but i was thinking of shedding my kit lens and just have the 18-180mm with me all the time, i carry my camera every where and that was the motivation, the 12-60mm is something i want but before that i want to get a E3
    I can assure you that the benefit you receive from updating your kit lens to the 12-60 is MUCH greater than the added benefits of the E-3 versus whatever camera you have now.
    Once you get the E-3, and you just have a basic kit lens, you're going to feel VERY limited by your lens. This is not the case if you get the 12-60mm first.

Check eBay for people selling both, you can generally score a very good deal for the two together. I bought my E-3 with a 12-60mm and a the camera battery grip for only 1400 all together. Having a 12-60 already, I sold it for 700, meaning I paid only 700 for the E3, battery grip, a $120 Lowepro bag, and a 1gig CF card.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Thread Information