Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

anyone NOT happy with their E-510 ??

Greetings.
    Am considering a new digital SLR purchase.
    Anyone NOT happy with their E-510 who'd care to expound/elaborate/rant about it?
    Cheers,
    - Richard
    oldWithoutMoney.com

Re: anyone NOT happy with their E-510 ??

I'm overall very happy with it, but have found a few things I don't like.

It is very noisy at higher ISO and at longer exposures. There are not as many accessories available for it as for other cameras (a set of 3rd party macro tubes comes to mind). The software that comes with it IMHO sucks.

These two negatives are far outweighed by the positives. I can kill a lot of the noise in post processing and for most accessories their is something available, just not a lot of choice.

In camera OIS, low price, good overall IQ, great lenses for the $$ (kit lenses are actually really good), dust reduction and good ergonomics play a much bigger role.
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

None here. I am very pleased with mine. I would trade the noise at higher ISO's, honestly I very seldom ever go over 200, for the in camera IS any day. I am counting the days until the release of the 520. I think the noise issue will be much better. I have seen some side by side images with the E3 and think the 520 will really be an overall better camera than the 510. Noise levels looked almost the same as on the E3 pictures.
    I don't think I could ever own another DSLR without the IS.
    I agree the Olympus Master isn't the best software for shooting RAW but I have bought Lightroom which works very well. I think the 510 is the best deal on the market right now.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

The relatively narrow dynamic range has been my only real complaint. Highlights in particular often get clipped sooner than I expected. While this shortcoming tends to be exaggerated, it is still problematic on occasion. The 520 will presumably (hopefully) make it less of a problem.

I have a couple minor gripes, but other than that, I'm very happy with my 510.

I've been shooting RAW + SQ jpg for the last few weeks, so that I can preview shots in fast loading jpg form and then work with the RAW files for a finished printable shot. This has worked well for me, and I don't typically have any excessive clipped highlights in the RAW files - I think this is an artifact of the JPG engine, and shooting RAW corrects this.

My complaint is that the .ORF file format is not supported by photoshop CS2 - although I like the upgrades to CS3, it lags my computer badly. Perhaps it is time for a new PC, but until then I am running a bit slow when working with photos. That's what I get for having a ten year old computer.

Also, I wish the strap grommets were at the bottom of the camera and not the top, so that they wouldn't get in the way while shooting. I don't know how many times I have lost shots to the shoulder strap being in the way.

Other than that, I have no complaints I can think of. Noise is quite tolerable at ISO400, and really not terrible at ISO800.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Im very happy with it, but theres a few things that bug me..

on the 500, their were twice as many ISO options, 500, 600, 1200, etc...
    now all we get is 100, 200, 400, 800,and 1600 which leaves alot of holes. i often wish i could shoot at an ISO between 400 and 800...

also the built in flash no longer raises as much as it used to.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Add the third party battery grip and the strap grommet problem is solved. An expensive way to solve the problem but then you get twice the battery life (I have shot for 3 days straight on the same 2 batteries) and a slight improvement to AF speed as well.

Lightroom 1.4 is compatible with the .ORF files with the new Camera raw driver.... .dll file.. whatever you call that thing again.

I found it an excellent improvement on the previous E500 and I expect that the E520 would be equal in performance enhancements. If you are looking to buy now it may be worth your while to wait for the E520 with a Kit lens or 2 and you will be very happy with the price vs. quality.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

theres a battery grip for the 510?
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

aftermarket one that everyone has said is really great. im getting one but not until after i get my 50mm f2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Battery-grip...QQcmdZViewItem

i love my e-510. also, i think that the price of the camera is insanely low. a lot of online resources dont even put it in the comparison articles because it is priced so much lower than it's competition that it just gets overlooked. around $600 for the 2 lens kit..thats unreal.

A little early to tell as I have only had the camera for a couple of weeks but so far I like it a lot. I have noticed the clipped highlights as has been mentioned previously. I read this online but it didn't stop me from buying the camera. I didn't really understand what it meant until I actually used the camera (well, I understood it literally but not in practice). You can underexpose shots if necessary and lighten them up in processing. I'm still confused over some of the different settings and it takes me a while to get the right setting for a particular shot. However that's a function of me learning the camera, but there is a pretty steep learning curve.

My aunt ended up buying a Canon XSi and yes, it's probably a better camera, but it's also a lot more expensive. For the money, I definitely feel like I got the better deal.

[QUOTE=Sushigaijin]I've been shooting RAW + SQ jpg for the last few weeks, so that I can preview shots in fast loading jpg form and then work with the RAW files for a finished printable shot. This has worked well for me, and I don't typically have any excessive clipped highlights in the RAW files - I think this is an artifact of the JPG engine, and shooting RAW corrects this.[QUOTE]

I'm going to have to disagree with this. As with all cameras, shooting RAW helps preserve some detail, but definitely doesn't "correct" the problem for me. The 510 suffers from narrow dynamic range when compared to others in its class, RAW or not. It is not just an "artifact" of the camera's jpg engine. I've personally compared it to the Canon 400D, and I would expect similar results from a D40 or D60. Again, it's not a dramatic difference or even a problem in easy to moderate shooting conditions (clearly not enough to dissuade me from being a repeat customer of Olympus), but it can be a little annoying.

Thread Information