Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Amateur XZ-1 User - Post Processing Question

Hey again all,
    Thanks for all your responses to my recent posts.

I went on a little nature walk today and got a few good shots. I was having some issues with over exposure and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm assuming the image is just too washed out too be fixed in pp but I figured I would ask.

I realize our faces aren't perfectly in focus so that would be nice to fix as well but that's probably just something I should have gotten right when taking the photo. What I mainly would like to fix is the waterfall in the back since its so bright.

If it is too over exposed, do you have any suggestions on what to do next time?

Re: Amateur XZ-1 User - Post Processing Question

When shooting always try and protect the highlights, water here. Once they are blown out it is hard to get them back. You can always push the shadows and get detail back in post. A flash fill may have worked.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Greg is right,
    use a flash fill, this tiny flash of the XZ-1 works great, especially at short distances, use P/A/S-Mode, Flash Mode: fill flash and the background looks way better.

Sounds good! Let me just make sure I understand this properly...

The camera understands that I have the fill flash mode on and will darken the overall photo? So our faces would have been lit up by the flash and the background will look more natural instead of washed out?

Thanks all!

I use a combination of Picasa and Lightroom to post-process. I used to shoot RAW and Jpeg, but now just RAW, as the images seem consistently better in RAW. Picasa and the newest version of Lightroom have no trouble dealing with the RAW files. IMHO, Lightroom ROCKS and I couldn't make images without it. Best $$ I ever spent, besides buying the XZ-1 which I am totally over the moon about.

Also, you might be interested: I just got some really neat accessories from Lensmate (google them) for my XZ-1... They make a filter attachment that screws onto the front of the camera, so you can use all the same filters you would use on an SLR, like a circular polarising filter which makes the colours of rocks and skies pop! (since you;'re into lanscape/outdoors) I also got a collapsible lens hood to stop sun-flare. The whole thing works without vignetting or any other issues. I feel like I have something almost as good (maybe even better!) as an SLR - that I can hold up with one finger! Loving the XZ-1!!

Thanks for the reply! You inspired me to get LR3 as soon as possible haha I can't wait to go out and take some shots to try it out on.

As for the lensmate gear. I purchased the lensmate auto lens cap which I absolutely love! I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to use it if I also purchased the adapter tube and filters or that I could use them both but the XZ-1 lens would become prohibitively long Maybe you could post a picture of yours?

Example pictures if you can. Also please write a review and help some others out.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I'll try writing a review =) Not sure if it will be the most detailed thing in the world since I'm quite the amateur but I'll give it a shot!

Thread Information