Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Liz
    Liz is offline
    Moderator Emeritus Liz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,983

    50mm/f2 or 45-200mm lens choice?

    This may seem like a strange choice I'm trying to make - between the Olympus 50mm/f2 macro lens and the Panasonic 45-200mm lens. Here is the reason.

    Yes, for those of you who might recall, I had purchased the 50mm/f2 a couple of months ago, but returned it because it was so slow in low light and kept hunting. I could not decide if I wanted to keep it before the return period was almost up, so I returned it in order not to lose money by having to sell it later. It is not a cheap lens (for my budget).

    Then, I thought I would invest in another Canon dslr and the 50mm/f1.4 lens as I always got good results with this lens (smooth bokeh with portraits, flowers, etc.). However, I'm getting to the point where I think going back to Canon means using 2 systems, and after some research, I think it's possible to find what I'm looking for with the E-PL1 - with the right lens.

    I found some amazing portrait samples shot with the Panasonic 45-200mm lens - and when you use this lens at about 80-100mm for portraits, it does give that smooth bokeh. It is a sharp lens even at the longer end.

    The reason for my indecision is due to the fact that the 50mm is a better lens all around. However, it sells for $450-$500. Will I use it enough to warrant paying this much? I guess only I can answer that - but would like some feedback.

    The 45-200mm does a good job with portraits, although you have to work at it. However, the lens is sharp - even at 200mm. And, it is more versatile with the zoom. So.....would I use it more?

    I would be grateful for any input, thoughts or comments.

    Thanks.

    Liz

  2. #2
    Senior Shooter Greg McCary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Rome Ga.
    Posts
    10,550

    Re: 50mm/f2 or 45-200mm lens choice?

    I was actually reading reviews on the 50mm this afternoon. Just looking at the 45-200mm it seems slow at 4.0. Personally i would get the 50mm. Sigma makes a 50mm but I don't think it does macro.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

    Sony a99/a7R

  3. #3
    Liz
    Liz is offline
    Moderator Emeritus Liz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,983

    Re: 50mm/f2 or 45-200mm lens choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I was actually reading reviews on the 50mm this afternoon. Just looking at the 45-200mm it seems slow at 4.0. Personally i would get the 50mm. Sigma makes a 50mm but I don't think it does macro.
    Thanks for your input, Greg.

    The reason I take so long in making a decision is because I'm working within a budget. Thankfully, I still have some money left from the sale of my Canon equipment. But I want to get the VF-2 when it's available - and didn't want to spend the money on 2 lenses.

    Also, I really didn't have enough time to try the 50mm out when I purchased it a while back. I only tried it indoors in low light and was disappointed with the hunting. However, if I didn't have to return it after only trying it a couple of times, I might have kept it.

    The weather is nicer now, no rain or snow -- I can take it outside and I have more time to give it a worthy try......so......

    I ordered the 50mm/f2 today from Amazon.

    Liz

  4. #4
    Member Atomic2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chicago Il
    Posts
    331

    Re: 50mm/f2 or 45-200mm lens choice?

    I guess its too late for me to suggest the Olympus 40-150mm F3.5-4.5

    Actually its not too late. The lens is very affordable, I bought mine for $120 used.
    It is AWESOME for portraits.
    http://fliman.com/uploads/nabil.JPG
    http://fliman.com/uploads/vince.jpg


    Also awesome portrait lenses are old legacy lenses used with an adapter. I bought a 55mm F1.4 Ricoh M42 lens for 40 dollars, and an adapter for 10 dollars. Works amazing for portraits.
    http://fliman.com/uploads/zo.JPG
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

  5. #5
    Liz
    Liz is offline
    Moderator Emeritus Liz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,983

    Re: 50mm/f2 or 45-200mm lens choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic2
    I guess its too late for me to suggest the Olympus 40-150mm F3.5-4.5

    Actually its not too late. The lens is very affordable, I bought mine for $120 used.
    It is AWESOME for portraits.
    http://fliman.com/uploads/nabil.JPG
    http://fliman.com/uploads/vince.jpg


    Also awesome portrait lenses are old legacy lenses used with an adapter. I bought a 55mm F1.4 Ricoh M42 lens for 40 dollars, and an adapter for 10 dollars. Works amazing for portraits.
    http://fliman.com/uploads/zo.JPG
    Thanks for your input.

    I have that lens. I got it really cheap for the E-P1. I was thinking of selling it because I haven't been too pleased with the results. However, after viewing PJ's beautiful images in his post above - some of which were done with the 40-150 - I'm thinking that I just haven't worked hard enough with this lens to get better results. I don't like to spend a lot of time post-processing because my photography time is limited - and I don't like working on the computer that much. I'd rather try to get the best I can out of camera. I do post-processing, but don't have the patience to spend a lot of time on it.

    Liz

  6. #6
    Member Atomic2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chicago Il
    Posts
    331

    Re: 50mm/f2 or 45-200mm lens choice?

    you sure you have the 40-150 3.5-4.5? not a 4.0-5.6?
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

  7. #7
    Liz
    Liz is offline
    Moderator Emeritus Liz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,983

    Re: 50mm/f2 or 45-200mm lens choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic2
    you sure you have the 40-150 3.5-4.5? not a 4.0-5.6?
    You're right - I have the 40-150 4-5.6ED - paid about the same as you did for yours $127


    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Zuiko_ED.html

    Liz

  8. #8
    Member Atomic2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chicago Il
    Posts
    331

    Re: 50mm/f2 or 45-200mm lens choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    You're right - I have the 40-150 4-5.6ED - paid about the same as you did for yours $127


    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Zuiko_ED.html

    Liz
    Different lens with different characteristics. I preferred the older and larger 3.5-4.5
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

  9. #9
    Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,750

    Re: 50mm/f2 or 45-200mm lens choice?

    Liz,
    did you see my latest E-P1 and 45-200 shots in viewfinder?
    PAul

    Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

  10. #10
    Liz
    Liz is offline
    Moderator Emeritus Liz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,983

    Re: 50mm/f2 or 45-200mm lens choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Liz,
    did you see my latest E-P1 and 45-200 shots in viewfinder?
    Yes, and I did give a "quick" reply yesterday.

    E-P1 and 45-200

    Actually I had to smile I saw it "after" I ordered the 50mm/f2. I was really impressed, but think I made the right decision as I'm looking for a good portrait lens. I was tempted to get the 45-200, but after seeing PJ's images done with the 40-150 (which I was going to sell to help pay for the new lens), I decided to give mine another chance. That way I will have a fairly long zoom - and the 50mm for portraits.

    Thanks Paul.

    Liz

  11. #11
    Have Cameras. Will Shoot! NaturalWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    107

    Re: 50mm/f2 or 45-200mm lens choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    This may seem like a strange choice I'm trying to make - between the Olympus 50mm/f2 macro lens and the Panasonic 45-200mm lens. Here is the reason.

    Yes, for those of you who might recall, I had purchased the 50mm/f2 a couple of months ago, but returned it because it was so slow in low light and kept hunting. I could not decide if I wanted to keep it before the return period was almost up, so I returned it in order not to lose money by having to sell it later. It is not a cheap lens (for my budget).

    Then, I thought I would invest in another Canon dslr and the 50mm/f1.4 lens as I always got good results with this lens (smooth bokeh with portraits, flowers, etc.). However, I'm getting to the point where I think going back to Canon means using 2 systems, and after some research, I think it's possible to find what I'm looking for with the E-PL1 - with the right lens.

    I found some amazing portrait samples shot with the Panasonic 45-200mm lens - and when you use this lens at about 80-100mm for portraits, it does give that smooth bokeh. It is a sharp lens even at the longer end.

    The reason for my indecision is due to the fact that the 50mm is a better lens all around. However, it sells for $450-$500. Will I use it enough to warrant paying this much? I guess only I can answer that - but would like some feedback.

    The 45-200mm does a good job with portraits, although you have to work at it. However, the lens is sharp - even at 200mm. And, it is more versatile with the zoom. So.....would I use it more?

    I would be grateful for any input, thoughts or comments.

    Thanks.

    Liz
    i guess you have the 50 by now. i have the 50, put it on ebay for a few hours, got scared at what i was giving up. came home and removed the listing. i probably will never part with that lens. it's great for around the house and quick trips when i know i won't need anything else. it's a sharp lens, compact and great for macros. it does hunt and that was very frustrating for fast lens....but i've made some in camera changes with my focusing and things are better.
    Happily photographing within my camera's limitations.Website

  12. #12
    Liz
    Liz is offline
    Moderator Emeritus Liz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,983

    Re: 50mm/f2 or 45-200mm lens choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalWoman
    i guess you have the 50 by now. i have the 50, put it on ebay for a few hours, got scared at what i was giving up. came home and removed the listing. i probably will never part with that lens. it's great for around the house and quick trips when i know i won't need anything else. it's a sharp lens, compact and great for macros. it does hunt and that was very frustrating for fast lens....but i've made some in camera changes with my focusing and things are better.
    Hi Natural Woman.......thanks for the encouraging comments.

    Yes I did get the lens this afternoon, but didn't get a chance to check it out. I had purchased this lens while back, but didn't give it enough time to see what it could do before I had to return it. I only tried it indoors due to the weather and my schedule - and I got frustrated with the hunting, so decided to send it back ($450 is a lot of money for me). I wanted to be sure I spent the money on a lens I'd be happy with. However, I knew as soon as I shipped it back that I should have given it more of a chance.

    Your comments are most welcome. I've done a lot of research and have seen some terrific sample images. Of course, it's going to rain tomorrow, but hopefully this weekend I'll be able to take it out.

    Thanks again.
    Liz

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •