Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

E-520 - How much longer?

I've got my heart set on the E-520 but I know it's been out for a while. Does anyone know how long Olympus usually manufacture their models? I won't be able to get it for a couple of months. I want the kit with the 14-42 & 70-300. (Although from my calculations you only save a whopping $20 by getting the tele in the kit instead of seperately.) I really need the reach for shooting wildlife out on the lake.

It is out of stock on B&H, but Adorama has it at the same price. I realize there are other options, but this is in the right price range and has the features I want. I just worry that it will soon be replaced with a new more expensive model and I'll have to start my search all over again.

-------------------------
    Christa

Re: E-520 - How much longer?

Buy the 70-300mm separately. You can find it alot cheaper from other online retailers. Stan
    Stan

-N-E-X- Founding Member
    (New England XFires)

Nex.Blackxfire@Yahoo.com
    www.CrossfireForum.Org

Olympus E510
    14-42mm f3.5/5.6
    40-150mm f3.5-4.5

I think you probably should be ok. The 520 is still on the Olympus web site.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Not to worry, it'll be a while before it's replaced/updated and if you don't mind a lightly used model you should be able to get a deal from someone moving up to the E-620 or E-30.

As an example, I paid ~$600 for my new E-510 with a kit lens. Roughly a year later I purchased a used camera body with 117 clicks on it for $350.

I've also bought and sold a number of lenses to arrive at my current set up and you can pretty well count on paying 3/4's of new for a lightly used lens.

You may want to consider buying the body only, the kit lens regularly sell for less than $100 and I've seen three 70-300's lately for $300.

Your best bet for Oly specific "talk" is http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/

Cheers, Don

This man knows what hes talking about. Buy used.

not only that, buy an E-510. Sharper images, cheaper body, and you're not really losing any important features.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra
    You may want to consider buying the body only, the kit lens regularly sell for less than $100 and I've seen three 70-300's lately for $300.

Your best bet for Oly specific "talk" is http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/

Cheers, Don
    You wrote this about the same time I was online buying the camera. It was sooner than I planned to buy it but I decided it was time to stop agonizing and just do it. Buying them separately would have saved me about $60 or so if I'd shopped around a little more. That seems like nothing once I added Lightroom, a new camera bag, a flash, etc, but still, the savings would have been nice. Christmas came early this year. Still wish I had read your reply before I did it, but it's done. Should be here by Friday.

EDIT: Thanks for the link too. Good stuff.

Ah, theres' nothing like new gear

I apologize if I offended anyone by posting the link to a 4/3's forum. I've sold and bought equipment there and the items I've listed here have gotten no response.

Still, it may have been more appropriate to have PM'ed the link.

Cheers, Don

Thread Information