12-60mm..Finally

Printable View

• 01-30-2010, 03:58 PM
    Greg McCary
    12-60mm..Finally
    I finally got my hands on a 12-60mm. I found a killer deal on craiglist I couldn't resist. It was almost half of retail and in mint condition with a UV filter included. It doesn't look as though it has ever been used. I ordered a Cokin ring to fit it so I can use my ND grad. So far I really like the extra focal length at both ends. As far as focus. Yes it is fast. Faster than my 14-54mm? If so I can't tell it is by much. It certainly performs better in low light. The weather here has been cold, rainy and gloomy so I haven't gotten out with it yet. As soon as that weather clears I hope to get out some. If you haven't looked on craigslist you should. I have seen some really sweet deals on some gear.
  • 01-30-2010, 04:43 PM
    Iguanamom
    Re: 12-60mm..Finally
    Hey sweet. You will LOVE it. Barely comes off my E-30. Did you get the Cokin holder yet?? You'll need the Z-Pro for the 12mm end. Even with one filter screwed to the lens, it vignettes. PITA to use my polarizer and the neutral grads, can't go full wide. Probably I'll have to pony up for a pola that can go in the holder.

Congrats on the lens though, I got mine at a good price on eBay a while back and I've been very happy with it so far.
  • 01-30-2010, 05:42 PM
    Greg McCary
    I guess I will have to upgrade to the Z-pro. I use the P series. I rarely if ever use a polarizer but I will experiment around at 12mm. I wish I could go super wide but the 7-14mm is way out of my range, for now anyway. If I go real wide I have to use my Leica.
  • 01-30-2010, 08:40 PM
    BlueRob
    Awesome Greg...really hopping to see some pics of that new glass of yours.
    And now I will expand my horizons to Craiglist too..I`m out of the US but have relatives in Austin which will be handy in case of a killer deal :D
  • 01-31-2010, 03:15 PM
    rubeel
    Greg, can you unstick your accident post, i am sure you are well now :)
  • 01-31-2010, 03:52 PM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rubeel
    Greg, can you unstick your accident post, i am sure you are well now :)

Yes......I just don't think about it.
  • 01-31-2010, 04:15 PM
    Liz
    Congratulations Greg! That's a great lens and I'm glad you found a good deal. I hope you will post some photos soon. I'd love to see some images from this lens.

It's so exciting to see you getting more involved with photography now, and your presence here is encouraging for all of us!

You're "The Man" Greg!

Liz
  • 01-31-2010, 04:58 PM
    Photo-John
    Congratulations, Greg. I really love the Olympus 12-60mm lens. I sure hope they make a Micro Four Thirds version of that lens. It's a near-perfect range and the optics are wonderful. But it's pretty huge on an E-P1 or E-P2 :)
  • 01-31-2010, 05:07 PM
    Greg McCary
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thanks John, Liz. Early on it seems to have a little more contrast and I have to sharpen the images a little less. Here I think I get more detail in the stickys than I would have with the 14-54mm. Not to say that the 14-54mm would have been a bad shot, just this one is slightly better. The original before I resized for the web is better than what you see here. Next I would like the 9-18mm but I need to do some research as to just what the quality of it is. It is frustrating not to have a store close by so I can check one out first hand. I really rely on post here at PR.

One more thing. In processing I can pull up the text at the bottom of the phone and read it clear as a bell. I can't wait until spring when I have some flowers to shoot.
  • 02-01-2010, 02:17 AM
    Atomic2
    I really need to sell my second 12-60mm
    Anyone here interested? Looks brand new and has never had the UV filter removed.
  • 02-01-2010, 02:31 AM
    BlueRob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomic2
    I really need to sell my second 12-60mm
    Anyone here interested? Looks brand new and has never had the UV filter removed.

PM sent....
  • 02-14-2010, 12:00 AM
    Greg McCary
    Well after a few more days and more situations I must say I am very pleased with the lens. It really performs well. Indoors, low light. It is fast and accurate. I think it is by far the best walk around lens in the Olympus line. I doubt I will ever be able to own a SHG lens to compare. I just can't spend 2 grand on a lens.
  • 02-14-2010, 08:16 AM
    Sushigaijin
    I'll agree with that. The top-pro lenses are huge too, at least the 12-60 is still in the normal size range for it's zoom range. The only negative I have about the 12-60 is that it costs SO much more than a 14-54. If the 14-54 is a $450 lens (retail) then the 12-60 should be a $650 lens. Not $800.

Honestly, the other "negatives" I've heard about it (a little bigger, funny wide distortion) can be totally written off as a function of the lens. Panasonic and pentax are both using software to correct similar distortion in-camera and it really isn't that much bigger or heavier than the 14-54. Sure, a constant aperture would be nice, but we'd have to give up size or range, or both, in order to achieve that.
  • 02-14-2010, 09:57 AM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    I'll agree with that. The top-pro lenses are huge too, at least the 12-60 is still in the normal size range for it's zoom range. The only negative I have about the 12-60 is that it costs SO much more than a 14-54. If the 14-54 is a $450 lens (retail) then the 12-60 should be a $650 lens. Not $800.

Honestly, the other "negatives" I've heard about it (a little bigger, funny wide distortion) can be totally written off as a function of the lens. Panasonic and pentax are both using software to correct similar distortion in-camera and it really isn't that much bigger or heavier than the 14-54. Sure, a constant aperture would be nice, but we'd have to give up size or range, or both, in order to achieve that.

I guess the extra cost must be the SWD. Like you though the retail price is just to high. But I really think it was designed to be the fastest focusing camera and the lens was made just for that purpose. If you shop around for a used one you might get lucky like I did and run into a bargain. I would have never been able to pay full price for one.
  • 02-15-2010, 07:05 AM
    Iguanamom
    No, the 12-60 isn't a bargain lens, it's an investment lens. Before I bought one I thought about the photos I typically take and the lenses I typically bring with and the range of the 12-60 fit both parameters best. No, it wasn't cheap, but I don't think I'll ever have to buy another lens in this range. Yes, there is barrel distortion at the wide end thus;
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/...38efea17_b.jpg

But with non-architecture shots it's less noticeable -
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/...653d9cf5_b.jpg

I do correct for vignetting in Lightroom when I've cranked it all the way to 12mm. It's slight,but visible. Stacked filters vignette as well and that you can't really get rid of except to crop. Just bear it in mind when you're at 12mm & you'll be ok.
  • 02-15-2010, 12:50 PM
    Greg McCary
    Sometimes distortion is a good thing. It can always be corrected in PPing. But I understand some don't care for it and wouldn't like correcting for it either.