PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Zune music player?

Does anyone have one? Good bad? I want to have my music on it and some pictures.

Re: Zune music player?

Sorry Jimmy, but as an avid iMac fan, it's almost a given that my choice of players would be an iPod. Zune does seem to have a following, however.

- Joe U.

Thanks for the input. I own 3 rio players and can't follow the ipod crowd.
    Jimmy B

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B
    Thanks for the input. I own 3 rio players and can't follow the ipod crowd.
    Jimmy B
    Uh... You have three players and you plan to buy another one? Do you carry them all with you? I am extremely curious about this!
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

One is at work, 20 GB, 20GB same model with me, and a 1.5 GB flash player with me 99% of the time:-)

I still think iPod is better tha the Zune.
    Convert DVD to iPhone in one click.
    Enjoy iPod Movies wherever you go.

Tel

Quote Originally Posted by crespowu
    I still think iPod is better tha the Zune.
    I'm gonna have to highly disagree with you there.

1. Well, I don't exactly trust the opinions of people who can't spell.
    2. The iPod is so overpriced its not even funny. Ok, yeah it is, but still.
    3. Not to mention my friend had his die within 2 weeks (Nano, he got it free from his mom's bank)

But as far as the Zune goes, My friend has one, and its quite good. But my Brother has a Zen Vision, Its great too.

Both are good options.

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Tel:

1) People don't have to be perfect spellers, this is an internet forum not a spelling bee. That's IMHO not a very nice comment and a poor reason to dismiss the opinion of a fellow Photography Review member. I doubt you spell everything perfectly all the time. Not every browser has a great spell checker built in too.

2) The Zune costs the same as the 30GB iPod

3) When you sell over 100 million of a product, some are bound to break. If it dies within the warranty period it is extraordinarily simple to get a replacement or repair quickly provided it wasn't caused by excessive abuse.

The Zune is IMHO a poor choice. The 'features' are all accompanied by major caveats. The controls are clunkier, build feels cheaper, and it's Microsoft stuff! I don't like them very much... they can't even make it compatible with some of their own stuff.

iPod has a massive support base, which is one of its most appealing features. Accessories are everywhere, and it works seamlessly with Apple's iTunes software which is cross-platform, while the zune only works on Windows. The iTunes store has a huge selection and has been offering quite a few more features in the past year or so, including movies, a wider selection of TV shows, and DRM-free higher quality encoded music.

Personally, I choose to not go with a standard iPod or other music player. My iPhone handles all that stuff ;)
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Tel:

I'm not a Mac person, but I wouldn't trade away my iPod for a Zune if Bill Gates personally delivered it to me. Why? Because there is nothing that could take the beating my iPod has and still work five years later.

I bought my iPod in 2003. When its charged, it still works like the day I bought it. Yeah, I had to replace the battery once, but $25 and a flat-head screwdriver took care of that problem (sad to say that apple has since closed that hole).

Like any first generation product, I would stay away from the Zune. It doesn't offer any compelling features over the iPod, and it doesn't have the support that Apple's product has. It may work great with Windows, but it is loaded with DRM and buggy features.

But...if you have already decided to buy a piece of crap, then no one can really talk you out of it.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

I don't have any personal experience with the zune - a buddy of mine had one for a week and returned it - said it just wasn't that great

I ended up with the toshiba gigabeat - great unit - battery life isn't the best - not sure how it compares to the ipod or others though - I was torn between the gigabeat and the zen
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

hummm, ok. Some folks won't own a chevy or a ford. I don't foresee myself owning anything "i".
    The RIO at work has been skipping and the hard drive making noise. It has been used during work hours for 2 years straight, so i can't complain.
    Thanks for all the input and output( chuckling to myself)
    Jimmy B

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Look, all of these players do about the same job. The iPod got a jump on the game and the iTunes store keeps selling the devices. I don't like Apple much but I do have a first generation iPod that has been fine.

I am sure Zune will be fine as well. If I were to ever replace my iPod, I'd look at Creative Labs first only because I really love their Cambridge Soundworks radio/CD player (better sounding than the Bose Wave Radio). Silly brand loyalty without a really good reason is a bad idea!

Let us know what you get and how well it works.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Thread Information