PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Are you going to watch the olympics?

Just wondering what you're thoughts are no the olympics this year?

I'm not much of a sports fan, but all the hype about this years games being in China have me curious.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Are you going to watch the olympics?

All the hype has me turned off so I won't be watching much if at all.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I will probably watch the opening ceremonies and the Kayaking and Running events but not much more than that.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Probably not, all the controversy behind it has people really turned off from it from who I've talk to. I remember watching the last olympics on the TV and loving how beautiful that was...I doubt I'll watch this one, dictator Mao freaks me out

Gotta watch Lopez Lomong!!

His story is incredible absolutely incredible. Plus the fact that he is the flag bearer is a bit of a slap in the face to China, who have been somewhat questionable in their dealings with the situation in Sudan.

Other than that I could really care less, give me the winter games any day.
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I'm not much of a sports fan, but all the hype about this years games being in China have me curious.
    Hell yeah! It's gonna be on continually at our house. Like a lot of folks, I set politics aside for this event.

Besides, in many ways I think America is a glass house when it comes to some of these issues. And you know how the saying goes...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I usually watch it but due to all I have going on here I won't have much time for it. I also don't get that interested in the summer games, just not as interesting as the winter games. The one event I will watch though will be the gymnastics, mainly due to the fact it's the best of the summer games and one of the girls is a local as Samantha Peszek lives right here in McCordsville..... tiny little ole Hancock County Indiana is actually involved in the olympics!

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I tried not to, but a friend got me hooked.

I watch the girls gymnastics because they are just too cute, and did you all see the US men's swimming relay race tonight? Very exciting stuff!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I did see the mens swimming relay last night. What a finish! Didn't one of the French swimmers say that they were going to crush the Americans?

I also watched a bit of beach volleyball over the weekend, and a couple of the rowing events.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I watch the girls gymnastics because they are just too cute
    Yeah, the Chinese team really had some pixies. Amazing to watch them fly...

and did you all see the US men's swimming relay race tonight? Very exciting stuff!
    IMO, that was the most exciting event of the games so far. It was just so unlikely that the American would catch up (the French swimmer was a world record holder I think).

My brother and I agreed that the French's 'dis' of our team (the crush remark) was just enough to give our swimmers that tiny extra bit of incentive. Plus it kept Phelps' goal of eight golds alive...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I watched some more tonight... apparently I like whatever is on Our men's gymnastics team looked very strong but HOLY COW did you see the Chinese men's team doing like double back flips off the mat then bouncing off the freaking springboard WHOA!! I have to do a paper now so can't see who wins but it was a VERY interesting contest!
    Walter Rick Long

I'm with you Rick. I seem to get hooked on whatever is on TV at the moment. With the exception of basketball. I watched Phelps win his 9th gold medal and break the world record in the 200mm freestyle. I saw a couple of the Chinese men on the rings last night too. Very impressive!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Yeah that one Chinese dude who could like elevate his entire body on the rings without any momentum at all... yeah I can do that! ha How did the mens gymnastics end last night Mike?
    Walter Rick Long

I only saw the two Chinese guys on the rings... From what a coworker said, the Americans won the bronze in the team gymnastics. Sounds like it was a bit of a surprise. They weren't expected to medal at all. I didn't see anything about it on the news though so I'm not positive on it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Phelps won 2 more gold medals last night, and set 2 more world records in the process. I also watches some of the mens beach volleyball. The US beat a team that I can't remember. The team they beat, had beaten the Lithuanians earlier. The Lithuanians had beaten the American's over the weekend.

I also watched some of the women's team gymnastics. It was getting too late to watch it all, but the American's took home the silver, and China won the gold.

I want to see badminton!!!!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

banished

I watched the grand opening ceremony, it shocked me a lot. And in the following days, I will pay more attention to Beijing Olympic Games, good news will be heard every day.

I caught the swimming last night and a bunch of the men's individual gymnastics. Did you see that guy fall off the rings? ouch!

And why are Americans so pissed to win bronze or silver? They sit in the water with the grumpiest looks on their faces. YOU JUST WON A SILVER MEDAL IN THE OLYMPICS!! Smile or splash the water or something! You're the second best swimmer in the world! Geez.
    Walter Rick Long

It is interesting to see how the athletes react to not winning the gold. Most of them seam disappointed... Maybe they feel like second place is the first looser.

I did see in the news that a wrestler (don't remember the country) left his bronze medal on the wrestling mat after the awards ceremony. He gave his medal back in protest over the way his match was scored.

I turned the TV on last night about half way through Phelps 6th gold medal, and world record setting race.

I only saw a couple of the vaults in the women's gymnastics last night, but I see today that Americans won both the gold and silver, with a Chinese gymnast winning the bronze.

Have you been following any of the controversy over the ages of the Chinese gymnasts? The rules state that you have to at least turn 16 in the year of the olympics in order to compete. There was some discrepancies on some of the papers for the some of the Chinese gymnasts. The birth dates on some papers didn't match the birth dates on their passports. The US coach even made a comment about one of the girls missing a baby tooth. An article I read yesterday said that they had found (and saved a copy of) a news story on a Chinese state run website that talked about one of the gymnasts from earlier this year. In that article they said the girl was 13. When they went back later to that same website, the story was no longer there.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

YES I did hear something about the ages of those Chinese girls! They look about 12, I would not be surprised to hear if 1 was 13. Holy cow.

Well congratulations to MIKE PHELPS who won his 8th gold medal in the Olympics last night (I saw the swim while standing in a bar lol) and becoming the most decorated Olympian ever. It would have been boring if he had just swept all the races and creamed the competition in every race. But the races were competitive and VERY close in 2... holy cow the man miraculously won by .01 seconds!

I'm proud of our little girls gymnasts. They are repping the States in a big way. The track and field events are starting very exciting, and none too soon I was getting tired of watching swimming
    Walter Rick Long

I hear ya on the swimming Rick. It seemed like that was the only event that was on for a while. I caught part of the women's marathon this weekend as well as some of running events. Way to go to the Jamaican's in the 100 meter! Very impressive.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Yes the Jamaican ladies swept it 1, 2, 3. Whoda thunk it. Of course the coolest part is watching a new country take precedence on the scene and hearing their accents in the interviews after

I think tonight should be good, looking forward to some ladies beach volleyball
    Walter Rick Long

I am more interested in winter sports, like hockey. I do enjoy rowing though!

i've watched the swimming competitions.

Michael Phelps is really great.

So sad to see my Olympics go So many iconic moments and memories!

Only 3 years and 364 days till the next one
    Walter Rick Long

So sad to see my Olympics go So many iconic moments and memories!
    I too was saddened to see the flame go out.

Only 3 years and 364 days till the next one
    Don't forget the winter games in Feb of 2010!!

I really enjoyed the games this year and I am not a sports fan by any stretch of the imagination. The Phelps drama captured me from the start, and from there my interest kept going up. I wish I had more time to enjoy them. I did watch most of the closing ceremony last night. It was very good, but a bit of a letdown for me, compared to the opening show.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information