PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

The New American Idol Thread

Now that a new season of AI is under way, and the other AI thread was such a big hit, I thought I would start another one. I didn't watch the last season, but I have been watching the first round of this season. So, is anyone esle watching American Idol?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: The New American Idol Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Now that a new season of AI is under way, and the other AI thread was such a big hit, I thought I would start another one. I didn't watch the last season, but I have been watching the first round of this season. So, is anyone esle watching American Idol?
    I watched two hours of the 4 or so they have broadcast. The judges have become extermely nasty and rude this year making it impossible to watch for more than about an hour at a time. This was not required to make the show appealing. In fact Simon, who is the worst of course, didn't matter last night when he showed up late. Interesting.

My favorite wannabe so far is the woman who admitted she coudln't sing a note but was trying to convince them that an American Idol who couldn't sing would be a great idea... or something like that. It was hard to tell as she seemed somewhat incoherent to me.

The appeal has gone down for me, I don't know, maybe its just getting too "been there, done that" now. We will see.
    Last edited by mwfanelli; 01-25-2007 at 10:00 AM.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

I've been watching...and yeah, that girl was unusual, to say the least...lol. Are the judges really nastier than they have been? I don't really notice a difference...I thought they'd always been pretty harsh with the beginning shows.

I'm looking forward to seeing the final 24 or so, however many there are. So far I've liked the guy that said he gets compared to Castro (lol) and then a couple of the girls who went last night. The girl who looked about 12 (she was an opera singer too) seems like she's going to be pretty awesome.

Emily

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

The judges were nasty. I saw the night when they were in Seattle, and I was horrified by some of the comments. Simon said one guy looked like a monkey, and the minute he walked out of the room, all three laughed about it.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I don't watch the show much, but my wife's family does. I've always wondered if there is any bodyguards in the room, or at least right outside the door incase anyone tries to beat on Simon for any comments he makes. The guy with the red hair I thought for a moment was gonna go after Simon.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    I don't watch the show much, but my wife's family does. I've always wondered if there is any bodyguards in the room, or at least right outside the door incase anyone tries to beat on Simon for any comments he makes. The guy with the red hair I thought for a moment was gonna go after Simon.

Yes, they do have security in the room with them. That guy with the red hair was creepy! You can see him here if you didn't see the show.

There was a hair dresser who auditioned last week, who dressed up like last years winner, Taylor Hicks. When he was done embarising himself with his singing, he reached into his pocket and pulled out what looked like a small container of hair gel, or something. He started to walk towards Simon, to fix his hair, and security was right on top of things to make sure he didn't get too close.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I read an article about this. They aren't any nastier than they've been, they are just showing more of the nasty comments than they used to. Plus, the contestants are getting worse. Everyone who's really bad and knows it is looking for their 15 minutes since William Hung did so well a few years back.

Yeah, ideally they'd get decent contestants and the judges would be civil, but let's face it, the sucky-ness of the early contestants and the harshness of the judges is a huge part of why the show is successful.

And given what you'd need to endure should you actually become a celebrity, the stuff the judges dish out is extremely mild.

But I don't watch religiously, only will catch a few minutes here and there if I'm flipping, but we don't watch a whole lot of tv.

If there were a Sex and the City thread, I'd have lots to contribute....
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I have no desire to see a bunch of has been judges insulting a bunch of no hoper contestants.
    Idol and Big Brother are the lowest of the low in TV entertainment.
    Though any "reality" show is only slightly better than the dog poo I tread in on the pavement.

this thread pushed one of my buttons
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I have no desire to see a bunch of has been judges insulting a bunch of no hoper contestants.
    Idol and Big Brother are the lowest of the low in TV entertainment.
    Though any "reality" show is only slightly better than the dog poo I tread in on the pavement.

this thread pushed one of my buttons
    So are you saying you don't like the show?

I sleep, but I don't rest.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Idol and Big Brother are the lowest of the low in TV entertainment...
    Well, I understand how you feel. For the most part, I hate reality tv. Still, I would never put these two shows in the same category.

Idol is basically a talent search, sure melodramatic and over-the-top in a quest for ratings, but relatively harmless compared to obnoxiously placing people in highly confrontational living situations, then turning up the heat and sticking cameras in their faces 24/7.

This is what shows like BB and MTV's Real World are all about: a circus side show. I can't stand them. It is the ultimate in hipocrisy and as far from "reality" as you can get...

"Idol", on the other hand, does not bother me at all (although I don't really watch it much). Again, just a talent search. And say what you want about their methods, when all is said and done, the finalists and certainly the winner show true star talent and (so far) have gone on to pretty successful music careers.

Hey, just check out Dreamgirls...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Tell me when they're down to the top 12
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I keep looking for teh thing to hit the gong with when watching lol. Some of the people should not have gotten out of bed ....let alone try to audition. I can understand the pre-screeners letting a few of them through for entertainment sake but do they even listen to them before they get to the Televised judges?

The very first guy on the very first show this year was a complete flaming idiot who thought there was nothing better than him...then this past week the guy that seemed to think he was half cougar and half moron.... But the guy I heard that I like the best was one form 2 weeks ago I think. He had character. Heavier set guy, curly hair, mentioned in his pre-audition blurb that he has seen a lot of people on the show that just suck... then says "Gee I hope I don't suck". Then he walked in and sang some soulfull ballad type of song that had Paula melting and the guess judge in awe.

But mostly I watch it for the pretty girls lol.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Are they going to use "Had a bad day" again? Tell me there's a different song coming on this year?
    Walter Rick Long

I saw that guy with the curly hair. He was awsome! His singing was pretty good, but his attitude, and sense of humor were great.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Tell me when they're down to the top 12
    That's exactly how I feel. I watch a bit of the auditions, but it gets old and redundant after awhile....
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Why it the one door in the audition room locked? People keep walking into the locked door when they leave. You would think they would put a sign on it, but it seems to bring the judges extra pleasure to see someone walk into a locked door, after they crush their dreams by telling them they can't sing.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Bump.

Has anyone been watching the show as it has progressed this season? I must admit, that I havent seen it in at all in the last month.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I saw the girls sing last week. There were a few good ones. Jesus, I didn't see the guys except sitting there but are the girls like all HOTT this year and the guys are all dorks??
    Walter Rick Long

What day is the show on?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

tuesdays, wednesdays for guys and then girls singing...results on thursdays.
    Will probably only be two days after this week as it will then be final 12.

I think the bad singers and nasty comments lessened after first two weeks as the editors got the hint that people weren't liking it anymore.

The girls are going to run away with it this year. Has to be Lakisha Jones, Melinda Doolittle, or maybe Stephanie Edwards in my book.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks Frog,

I did see the girls sing on Wednesday night. I wasn't overly impressed with anyone, but I was only half watching it as I was on the phone, and on the computer at the same time. The judges seemed to be very impressed with the last girl who sang, but I don't remember her name.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

The American public is as good at voting for idols as they are at voting for politicians.
    Keep Shooting!

I heard something on the radio about the American Idol results not being very popular? Anyone have the back story?
    Walter Rick Long

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I heard something on the radio about the American Idol results not being very popular? Anyone have the back story?
    Well, I read in the paper that they got over 36 million votes in two hours last week and they are wiping out the competition in the ratings. How unpopular can the show be?

I haven't watched it after the first two this year, but the backstory on that is dull :-)
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

The voting system is pretty bad as anyone can vote as many times as they want. I'd guess those least qualified to vote, vote the most as they don't have anything better to do.
    How else can you explain Sanjiah still being there?
    Keep Shooting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information