PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

What if gas were to cost $10 a gallon?

I sleep, but I don't rest.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: What if gas were to cost $10 a gallon?

For us, it's well on the way to that, with increases of around $0.02 per litre per week this month. It's not all supply and demand, for us there is a huge tax component to our fuel prices in the UK. Also there seems to be some issue with futures speculation pushing the price beyond the bare market boundaries.

And look at the cost of grain, driven up drastically to around $6 per bushel by futures speculators.
    In fact many commodities futures are inflated right now, in a parallel to the housing boom (and bust) and the dot com boom (and bust).

As soon as the predictors of the markets say there is money to be made, it becomes almost a self-fulfilling prophecy once enough speculators pile into the market.
    The price of grain is affecting the price of food everywhere that has to import grain - largely from the USA as one of the world's main providers.

Yes, oil prices will push up the price of everything.
    And perhaps will put pressure on employers to move towards home working via the internet rather than make pay rises to cover the cost of inflation.
    It'd be good for those businesses, smaller office space needed, less heating costs. Not so good for you that have to heat your homes while you're working from them though. But better than the price of the commute.
    For me that's just past $7000 per year to drive to work, and rising weekly.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Adina you asked for thougts....I dont think I should I should ummm, express them. That being said, or not said, I am having a hard time trying to even put into logical thought what that would mean for me other then get the motorcycle I have wanted lol God, this is really depressing.......

Shoes...........meet pavement.
    PLEASE ASK BEFORE MAKING ANY EDITS. THANK YOU.

If I care enough to leave a critique or comment on your work, please return the favor.

My Aviation photos:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/addiesgranddaddy

Everything else:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9367218@N03/

Can I get studded tires for a moped for Winter commuting?...LOL
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Public transport on strike again in Paris today

I've taken a day off because public transport is on strike again today (protesting about their pension conditions are being cut back to something more reasonable, same as last time).

I've run out of ink for my printer so I shall have to take the car to go into the city. I also used the car last night to go out dancing. I use public transport whenever I can but living out in the country a car is essential to get to where I want to be in a reasonable length of time.

My current car is the best one I have ever had - small, powerful, comfortable, automatic. It doesn't use a lot of fuel, but it's still well over the European standard for CO2 emissions for 2012. It comes out really well in the crash tests - but it's also pretty heavy. My next car will certainly be much lighter, more aluminium.

I hardly ever take a plane nowadays, the train has replaced it. I do two big trips in the car by year (summer and winter) to de-coke the engine. Always think twice before using the car to go anywhere.

I think that life is going to continue pretty much like that, even if gas prices increase. I was already concerned about CO2 emissions and it's just the same thing.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

If it gets to be 10 dollars US, then I foresee the entire country shutting down, trucks won't be able to move down the interstates, people won't be able to drive to work, and the oil companies will be upset because they aren't selling any gas.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

I just saw a report that said the prices now may be "the good old days" its predicted now to go between $12 to $15 before all is said and done.......please be wrong.

I don't think it's a question of "if", but "when".

In 1979, the national average price per gallon hit $1.00 for the first time. In 2004, the average hit double that mark, or $2.00/ gallon. Most experts agree that we will see a $4.00 national average in 2008, the price having doubled again in just four years.

Put in that light, $10 a gallon doesn't seem so farfetched.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

$10 per gallon? THAT'D BE CHEAP !!

Price per litre now has hit £1.169
    Now let's see, US Gal = 4.546 litres that's £5.314274 per gallon, and the exchange rate is $1.98 so that's $10.52 per gallon
    PAul

Yikes Paul!

I rode my bike 14.8 miles the other day, into the next town, which I thought was only 10 miles.

Should it get completely unaffordable, dh has the luxury of being able to work from home. When it starts costing me more to work then I make, I might have to adjust.

We also are working on spending time this summer making our house as "green" as possible. The garden is in, and we are going to pick up a compost thingy (we'd like to do it, but I don't want that big pile of stuff in my yard for the neighbors dog to dig thru, so we are going to get a container thingy). Our local farmers market opened this past weekend. Stuff like that.

If all else fails, I am going to work my darnest to convice dh to move back to the city, where we don't need cars to get everywhere.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I started riding my motorcycle to work today. I'm planning on doing that most of the summer. I have also started walking around town more. Yesterday I finally dug my bicycle out so I can start riding that too.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

All three bicycles are trashed, left too long in the garden shed
    Might be able to rebuild one out of the 3 though.
    Definitely need new seat, tubes & tyres.
    May be better off to buy a new cheap bike...
    PAul

GB1

History repeats itself. Read up on the repercussions of the 1979 oil crisis. Just so many things are tied to energy - the cost of transporting food, materials, people, plus manufactured things like plastics, tires, etc. It is probably the single biggest influencing factor affecting our economy. The biggest difference between this crisis and the last ones is that there are not any gas lines, etc, just tight worldwide supplies.

However, this run up reminds me too much of home prices a few years ago: I predict we will see a big drop within 12 months.

BTW - at least it's sparking a big push into alternative energy.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    BTW - at least it's sparking a big push into alternative energy.
    And mass transit- at least here in Oregon. The light rail/ bus system has been filled to near capacity on the days I venture into the city. Nice to see folks reducing their carbon footprint out of necessity, if not by choice.

@SmartWombat: Yes, we here in the states are just beginning to understand how you folks have had it for some time.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Makes the Tesla Roadster seem attractive.
    Maybe worth trying to acquire one.
    PAul

For those of us in the South, it's a huge problem. Atlanta notably excepted, the rest of the cities down here have very little in the way of effective public transportation. Here in Birmingham, we only have a rickety bus system that runs to a few shady places downtown and that's it. The South has so much space, we all live very spread out, so commuting by car to work is standard for everyone here. And there is no alternative, so everyone either becomes much poorer or, at some point, can't go to work.

I wouldn't mind seeing a lot more motorcycles on the road - less cars to hit me when I'm on one.

Electric and hybrid cars will certainly be gaining much more attention everywhere. Quite the swing from the SUV craze that was particularly rampant in the South - I'm interested to see how long people are willing to pay for it.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Thread Information