PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Liz

OT-need PDA help or link

I'm purchasing a Palmone Z22 Palm OS 5.4 with Samsung 200MHz ARM processor to replace my PalmIIIxe. It's a good deal at $99.

I need to know beforehand if I can transfer the files from the Palm IIIxe from my PC. My IIIxe is about 5 years old, but still working - and it sort of sticks now, so I want to replace it before I lose all the information on it. If I lose the information, I'm dead in the water since it contains my schedule, appointments, addresses, memos, etc.

Could someone familiar with Palm Pilots help - or give me a link to where I can get this information? Google is so filled with links that I can't sort them out to get the info.

Thanks.

Liz

PDA Web Site

Liz-
    I don't know much, but someone I know has a good PDA Web site: www.pdabuzz.com

Hopefully that will help.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Perfect....

Thanks - this is exactly what I'm looking for. I have a $20 off coupon so I can get it for $79 if it is decent. I've had the other one a while and it too was cheap - and it is a time saver, paper saver - and life saver when I'm away from my desk. But if I lose the info on it - I'll be in big trouble.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Liz-
    I don't know much, but someone I know has a good PDA Web site: www.pdabuzz.com

Hopefully that will help.

Re: OT-need PDA help or link

Liz,

All Palm come with software that syncs all the data from the device to your desktop computer and back. That's how they're meant to be used. That way, if the device fails, only the data entered since the last sync is lost. If you sync daily, you only use a day's worth. If you sync less than that, then you might lose more.

This same software allows you to plug in a new device and sync it witht he same data. So getting all your stuff off of the old one and onto the new one is not hard at all.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Liz

Thanks Seb. One time I almost lost everything because of my ignorance - so I appreciate this information.

One more question. Can I hotsync both of these Palms with my PC as it is set up now with my original user name? Or.....do I need another user name for the Z22 - but still use the IIIxe software? Or do I need to have 2 setups - one for each Palm? I hope that makes sense.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Liz,

All Palm come with software that syncs all the data from the device to your desktop computer and back. That's how they're meant to be used. That way, if the device fails, only the data entered since the last sync is lost. If you sync daily, you only use a day's worth. If you sync less than that, then you might lose more.

This same software allows you to plug in a new device and sync it witht he same data. So getting all your stuff off of the old one and onto the new one is not hard at all.

Liz,

You should be able to use the same software that's already installed. Not sure about the user names stuff, it's been too long since I've used one, sorry. What I would do is just install the software if you haven't already, sync up the old one, and then just plug in the new one and see what happens.

If for some reason your current software is not compatible with the new unit, you should be able to upgrade with the new software without losing anything.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Liz

Thanks again, Seb. I really appreciate the information. I rely on my Palm because I'm out of the office many times when I need pertinent information - and used to carry around loads of papers, phone numbers, etc. I haven't upgraded until now due to the prices, but you can't beat $79. My IIIxe has 8mb of memory - the Z22 has 32.

OK - so I'm on my way out to buy it!

Liz

Liz,

You should be able to use the same software that's already installed. Not sure about the user names stuff, it's been too long since I've used one, sorry. What I would do is just install the software if you haven't already, sync up the old one, and then just plug in the new one and see what happens.

If for some reason your current software is not compatible with the new unit, you should be able to upgrade with the new software without losing anything.

Liz,

It's no sweat. Just make sure you sync all the info, so even if something does go wrong with the install, you still have everything you need on at least one device.

And let us know how it went.
    -Seb

My website

Liz

Liz,

It's no sweat. Just make sure you sync all the info, so even if something does go wrong with the install, you still have everything you need on at least one device.

And let us know how it went.
    Gotcha - I'll probably get to it this weekend.

Liz

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hey Liz

I don't have any info to help you with but just wanted to throw in that I own a Dell pda and LOVE IT. It replaced my notebook, my alarm clock, my walkman, my calendar, and my address book, it does video games, surfs the web, and I can display my pictures on it for whomever wants to see my photography. What a great invention these things are!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Liz

Hey there Rick!

Thanks for checking in. Your Dell sounds like a great PDA with all those wonderful features. I agree these are marvelous inventions. I used to constantly bring work and other stuff with me to do on weekends, but would forget a phone number, todo list, and notes. Now all I have to do is grab my Palm - and no more racking my brain as to what I may be forgetting. I have my calendar and addresses/phone numbers, todo, memo, etc. If my pc and palm crashed, I'd be lost. For me personally, it's a great time saver, not to mention how much easier it makes life - less stress.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Hey Liz

I don't have any info to help you with but just wanted to throw in that I own a Dell pda and LOVE IT. It replaced my notebook, my alarm clock, my walkman, my calendar, and my address book, it does video games, surfs the web, and I can display my pictures on it for whomever wants to see my photography. What a great invention these things are!

Rick

Thread Information