PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: A very important, hypothetical question.

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Much like Star Trek, I predict he (or his heirs) will sell the rights to the story, and a new generation of film makers will continue the saga...
    ... hopefully before Harrison Ford, Mark Hammil and Carrie Fisher die so they can make Episode VII

Speaking of Indiana Jones, did you know that they had originally cast Tom Selleck as Indiana? He had to turn down the part due to his busy schedule shooting a popular PI show for television

Steve, you're right about Lucas being busy marketing Star Wars boxed sets during those 15 years. Rememeber the first Star Wars Trilogy boxed set? Came out in '98 or so. At the beginning of those movies there are a series of interviews between Leonard Maltin and George Lucas. Somewhere in that set, Lucas describes how he wrote the script, broke it into pieces, and decided on making Episode IV first. I may be remembering wrong, it's been a few years since I've watched those interviews. But if you have that boxed set (seems most folks do) that's where I was pulling my information from. Could be wrong though.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Speaking of Indiana Jones, did you know that they had originally cast Tom Selleck as Indiana?
    Oh, yeah. Can't imagine anyone other than Ford (and River Pheonix, RIP) playing the part, but Selleck has many of the same rugged but nice guy qualities, so I can see why they originally wanted him...

BTW, a movie Selleck did make that came close to the Jones personna is High Road to China: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085678/

Any similarities to Raiders is purely coincidental. Right... :yesnod:

FWIW, I think my favorite Selleck movie (apart from the Three Men ones) is the wonderful Quigley Down Under: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102744/

Selleck plays an old west cowboy/sharpshooter hired by a decidedly wicked Australian land owner (great bad guy Alan Rickman), but when he arrives there he finds out the situation is not what he thought it would be, so of course he "settles the score". Throw in a long developing love story with a nutty Laura San Giacomo, and you get a great fish-out-of-water tale that has a little bit of everything.

I'm not a big Western fan by nature, but I love some of the odd variations on the theme that they've come up with over the years. This is one of the best...

I may be remembering wrong, it's been a few years since I've watched those interviews. But if you have that boxed set (seems most folks do) that's where I was pulling my information from. Could be wrong though.
    No, you're probably right. I am one of the few that doesn't have the box set. Heck, I probably saw the original SW at least 30 times in the theater, so by the time that box set finally came out, I think I was burnt out on the films... :crazy:

So, I've never seen those Lucas interviews. Most of what I remember was from reading articles and the buzz going around in the film department at the school I was at. So, I'm not saying it was gospel...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Not a big Selleck fan. Nor a big fan of westerns. I don't think Tom could have pulled off the Indiana Jones part. Harrison has that perfect "school teacher" look, combined with that gritty "adventures in archeology" ("and X never, ever marks that spot" lol) look that made him perfect for the role. Toss in a little arrogance and that classic Harrison Ford smile and I think he was perfect for the role. BTW, been hearing rumors of an Indiana 4 for about a decade now. Rumor has it Harrison wants to do it before he gets too old, and Sean Connery had also signed on. I wonder if they'll ever get to it...

pps. Had the chance to rub shoulders with Alan Rickman and Kira Sedgewick during the shooting of Something The Lord Made as a featured extra
    Walter Rick Long

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

BTW, been hearing rumors of an Indiana 4 for about a decade now. Rumor has it Harrison wants to do it before he gets too old, and Sean Connery had also signed on. I wonder if they'll ever get to it...
    Yeah, been following that story. And as much as I love those two actors and the franchise, at this point I don't really care if they make it or not.

IMO, it would be a roll of the dice whether they could recreate the chemistry of the other films, and Ford playing Indy at this point in his life might become a bit like Connery playing Bond in the embarrassing Never Say Never Again...

Had the chance to rub shoulders with Alan Rickman and Kira Sedgewick during the shooting of Something The Lord Made as a featured extra
    Cool. Was that the film you did the dirty, I er, mean swing dancing in???
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Yes, swing dancing. It was a PG-13 film after all

I just love the Indiana Jones series. Last Crusade was such a brilliant film in so many ways. I could watch that one over and over again for days. You're right about a fourth installment being a crapshoot however. With Spielberg making... well... those kinds of films nowadays, and both Ford and Connery approaching over the hill status, it might be destined for failure.

Still, to see him ride off into the sunset just one more time...
    Walter Rick Long

And while we're on the topic of important questions...

Rank your favorite Star Wars films!

Me:
    Walter Rick Long

There are no episodes 1-3.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

The whole point of sitting through 12&3 is for watching Anikin, knowing the twist, and wondering when the change will happen.

I saw 4, then I saw 1, 2 & 3. I have never seen 5 or 6.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information