PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

TV...still the villian

http://health.msn.com/pregnancykids/...ntid=100151147

Apparently kids in the US watch an average of 4 hours of tv a day. And, shock of all shocks, kids who do this are more likely to be overweight.

Duh. If we spent 4 hours a day watching tv, it would have to be on from the moment they get home from school until bedtime, we'd have to eat our meals and do our homework in front of it.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: TV...still the villian

I feel like a dictator! We don't allow our kids to watch TV at all during the school week and they only get a total of 3 hours, if they have time, of combined time for the weekend. All computer traffic goes through a router controlled by me and I have a keyword filter on there to keep an eye on web sites. I am very picky about what is appropriate,

Pretty ironic since I'm in broadcasting.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

What's interesting to me is how comfortable parents are sitting their children down in front brutal violence (Tom and Jerry, Coyote and Roadrunner, Power Rangers) Yet, shows that model the behavior we want them to have (Barney, Teletubbies) are denegrated and criticized?
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Maybe, but I'd call that responsible too. If it weren't for The Sopranos I could care less about even having one, but there's a number to the left of this post that proves I have other vices...

Somehow I got strangely addicted to that show, but it's very well done. And it will be done soon - so will be HBO with me. $15/month + nothing I'm interested in + summer! = buh-bye!

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Hopefully I'll be spending some more time under water this summer with my son and daughter in between different camps. My son is spending 2 weeks at Rose Hollman doing an engineering program. Daughter will be at intense dancing and sleep away camp again in the frozen north of Maine. As far as the posts, I'll be happy when I make it to 1K.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

drg

Hopefully I'll be spending some more time under water this summer with my son and daughter in between different camps. My son is spending 2 weeks at Rose Hollman doing an engineering program. Daughter will be at intense dancing and sleep away camp again in the frozen north of Maine. As far as the posts, I'll be happy when I make it to 1K.
    Do you mean Rose Hulman in Indiana??!!

I went to summer camps there (a long time ago). In fact, I was in their first computer camp. DEC Vax 750 was the generation of hardware. Yeah, I've been at this a while. They also had canoeing excursions for those interested and its where I learned to play a very mean aggressive badminton game .

Do they still call the programs Operation Catapult and Camp Retupmoc or have those been replaced by some less 'cute' names??

Good school by the way, even though I didn't wind going up there. There are a couple of us not to far away from that campus.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

That's the joint, he's doing the catapult one. Sounds like a blast.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

I feel like a dictator! We don't allow our kids to watch TV at all during the school week and they only get a total of 3 hours, if they have time, of combined time for the weekend. All computer traffic goes through a router controlled by me and I have a keyword filter on there to keep an eye on web sites. I am very picky about what is appropriate,

hahaha....my dog and cat watch more TV than your kids.....The cat loves watching hockey the dog loves anything thats fast paced, but especially racing.... go figure. The TV is on as long as I am awake, even when I am gone. I found the dog stays calmer and tears less stuff up if the tubes on when I am gone.
    No matter what I am working on though the TV is on and so I guess I make up for those of you who don't watch TV

Hey MJS, when you come up this way give me a shout and maybe we can meet up. RH is an hour and a half away from me. Unless it's in May cause I'll be a bit busy in Indy that month. In fact pole day I start at the track at 7am and then shoot a prom that night..... another 16 hour day......

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information